Need some help and advice.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jonhcox, Aug 9, 2011.

1. jonhcox macrumors regular

All,

I know this question is asked many, many times here, but I truly need some help. I bought a used iPhone 4 off of Craigslist. When I took the phone into AT&T to get it activated we ran into an issue. They connected it to iTunes and it says, "The sim card in this phone does not appear to be supported." So the AT&T rep said it is likely a foreign phone and to go to Best Buy and purchase an O2 universal sim card and that should at least get it past the activation. The only option he said was to see if I can get it past the activation and then wait for the next jailbreak/unlock to come out for the latest software and then unlock it to use on AT&T. So I bought the O2 universal sim and when I trimmed it and installed it- I get the same message again.

Needless to say- I feel like a complete ass for not doing a better job buying this phone. What can I do- what are my options? How do I even find out what carrier it is connected to so that I might buy a sim card from them and try that? Even if I can't use it as a phone, all I want to do is at least use it as an iPod.

I know I did something stupid and I have tried getting in touch with the seller to no avail. I feel pretty helpless. Any and all help/advice is GREATLY appreciated.

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

be surprised if the at&t rep told you that they are not known for official unlocks let alone unofficial unlocks. have you tried to contact the seller and asking. let me guess he's not answering the phone. best solution of the top might be to order a gevey sim be sure to get a official version. here is a good link to buy a real gevey.

http://applenberry.com/store/gevey-sim/gevey-ultra.html

3. jonhcox thread starter macrumors regular

I have dealt with the rep before (have a premier acct) and he was pretty honest in saying that I was likely screwed, but that I could at least give it a shot.

Because the phone isn't activated, will the Gevey sim still work? That's part of my problem in that I can't even get it past activation. I presume to merely activate it I just purchase the sim and install it in the sim tray? It's on the latest firmware, that I know so would the sim be able to unlock it? If so, can it still be used on AT&T? Lot's of questions, I know, but if there is a possible solution, I'm interested.

4. labman macrumors 604

labman

can you not get a hold of the seller. as I said before the best place to by a phone craigs is at the carrier store. doesn't help you but hopefully the next guy. if they won't meet at the store avoid... ;)

5. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

I know with the 3GS, if you knew the model number, you could track that back to the original carrier. I'm not sure if that's still the case with the iPhone 4, but the model number is on the box if he at least gave you that--on the label on mine, it's listed as Part Number.

Seems like there should be a way to get that info off the phone itself even without the box, but I've no idea how.

6. jonhcox thread starter macrumors regular

it's model number A1332. I have looked for ways to find that out but have come up short.

As for the seller- he has not responded to my emails or calls, so I think I am out of luck there.

7. labman macrumors 604

labman

sadly that's the generic model and doesn't say much. how about this is there a Apple store near you? make a Appt tell them the situation just be honest with them they are pretty cool. if it's jailbroken though you will have to restore the original firmware. but just be as honest you can and see where it goes not your fault you bought a phone from a scammer. on one hand though it might have been reported stolen lets hope not.

8. jonhcox thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks labman- that's exactly what I did and have an appointment on Monday. I popped the sim tray and looked at the serial number- it's under warranty until Dec this year. Fingers crossed. The Genius' have always been good to me previously with my mac/business stuff.