Need some help changed the wife's ssd now can't sign in to stuff?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mohawkapple, Feb 19, 2015.

1. mohawkapple macrumors member

mohawkapple

She id flipped out :eek: lol, i bought a mx100 and installed it in her MBP everything went fine, cloned her hdd and now she needs to do some of her school work and her job docks are all on MW and she can't get into it. It keeps asking to sign in but she has know idea what her password is to that account! I've tried everything and can't get into it :mad: She is pissed at me :( thanks for any feed back!

2. chrfr macrumors 603

I have no idea what this means.

3. mohawkapple thread starter macrumors member

mohawkapple

she has a lot of her work on microsoft word, but now that i changed her ssd its asking her for a product key and she has know idea what it is. she was using microsoft office for her work and school on her macbook everyday. But now that i changed the ssd she can't open microsoft office on her macbook, sorry if I'm not making sense lol

4. chrfr macrumors 603

You'll need to re-enter the product code for Office in order for it to work with the new SSD, or you could reinstall the old disk.

5. Mik3F macrumors 6502

Reinstall office if you still have it, the Mac version comes with the key preinstalled into the installer

6. mohawkapple thread starter macrumors member

mohawkapple

She has know idea where the product code went to. And I have her hdd hooked up to a sata cable now and it still asking for the code

7. chrfr macrumors 603

If you registered Office with Microsoft they may be able to help. Otherwise you need a new copy of Office. Put the original disk back inside the computer and try again.

8. Mik3F macrumors 6502

The product code is preinstalled into the installer itself. If you still have the disc / dmg file then install it again and that will solve the problem

9. chrfr macrumors 603

Not with individually licensed copies. You'll need to enter the code so that Office can be activated.

10. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

You need the activation code, or need to buy a new one. Personally I would put the HD back until you can figure out the MS Office issue. If I remember correctly MS activation is tied to the hardware so any significant change and you will be prompted for the activation code, with that as you have changed the physical state of the machine Office may request the activation code even if the HD is replaced, you'll find out soon enough...

Q-6

11. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Ohhhhh ... Her work-related "docks" are Microsoft Word format documents (aka "docs").

I thought it was some type of warehouse job or something ... Customs in a shipping yard or something.

I get it now.

Your options are quite simple, and far from the end of the world for her, so no need to freak out:

1. Put the original drive back in, or

2. Get the product key. Sounds like it's an illegal copy that's installed anyway, so you'll probably have to actually buy the software to get a key at this point. I suggest the cheapest subscription to Office 365. Last time I checked, I think it was something like $60-$70 USD.

12. Mik3F macrumors 6502

If you have a legal copy of Office, then you can try to phone Microsoft and explain the situation. If you get a friendly tech they should be able to sort this out for you

13. alex0002 macrumors 6502

Was this a second hand macbook pro that was purchased with Office installed?

In any case, if she needs something that will open those documents right this minute, perhaps Pages or LibreOffice Writer will do the job. The formatting might not be 100% the same, but at least she should be able to open them (make sure you keep a backup of the originals).

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Without the product code, you'll not be able to activate it. If push comes to shove, put the old drive back in.

A simple though way around it, is to purchase an Office365 subscription. You'll be able to get Word up and running.

Another alternative is to use LibraOffice that way she can at least edit her documents.

15. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

That's a good idea, and definitely worth a shot. Worst case, they'll just say "no." No loss if that's what happens.

16. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

If it's a legal copy, the CD key should be registered to your Microsoft account, so she just needs to log into her MS account (usually ending in live.com, outlook.com, msn.com, or hotmail.com) and it should activate or at least display her CD key.

The slightly less than official looking URL with a download link and her product key is here: https://login.live.com/login.srf?rv...n1.0&id=271046&ct=1424519047&lc=1033&rpsnv=12

17. RUGGLES99 macrumors 6502

If you search for ms office for the mac in craigslist new york city word is a "bargain," like $20. Allegedly, or so ive heard. My legit purchased ms word for mac 2011 has the code on the box. If you have a legit product, try to find the box. The orig disk is in it too.

18. BasicGreatGuy, Feb 21, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2015

BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

From the old drive: Try copying that file to the SSD /Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.office.licensing.plist

You can also install the following Mac program on the old drive, and it will be able to retrieve your program installed serials.

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/36175/mac-product-key-finder

19. Fishrrman macrumors G3

OP:

If your wife needs to view saved Word "doc" files, and you can't get Word to open, just open them using something else (for the moment).

I believe the Preview app can view Word docs. You can copy text from them if needed.

As others have suggested, try downloading "LibreOffice" and use that. It can read Word docs and save to Word format (though 100% compatibility may not be reached, insofar as document formatting is concerned). It's free to download.

Suggestion:
    RIGHT-CLICK on the Word doc she needs to open, and see what other application choices the finder gives you...

20. mohawkapple thread starter macrumors member

mohawkapple

This is exactly what i did, had to buy a new subscrition all is well now. thanks for all the help! :)