Need some help choosing (iMac) >

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by stib, Mar 26, 2012.

1. stib macrumors newbie

Recently sold off my powerbook G4 and am looking for a new main computer. Though still debating, I'm leaning towards an iMac due to the screen size/value; portability is convenient, but not a necessity I'm willing to shell out extra for right now. My budget is a bit over 1k.

This will primarily be used for design/photo (CS5, autocad, aperture, etc), web browsing, and possibly some casual gaming. I tend to switch between multiple programs quite often, so a 27'' screen would be preferred.

Would like this to last a few years, so I'm curious what specs I should look for at a minimum. Would a 2.7 ghz i5 would be enough, or I would need an i7 with at least 3.0ghz? Will probably look for at least a 6750 graphics card for the 27'' option.

Interested in going the refurb route to save a few dollars. Have been considering eBay, but it's a crapshoot as far as price and buying from a good seller are concerned. Would be interested in hearing any other options and possibly what I should look for in minimum specs.

Thanks

2. elmo151 Guest

I've been waiting for a new iMac for a few years. mine is early '87

3. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

That's some expensive software. I can see why you'd be looking to save a buck or two on a refurb.

Any current iMac will do the job nicely. Go ahead and pull the trigger.

You have a 1987 iMac?

Excuse me while I calm my BS detector down a bit....

4. mac26 macrumors 6502

you should have bolded the iMac from 87 part cause first iMac was in 98