Need Some Help Clarifying Airport Express Use

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by benh911f, Jul 27, 2012.

1. benh911f macrumors 6502

Hey guys,
    I'll preface by saying I've googled these questions and I think I have the answers down, but just wanted to ask and get a direct answer in regards to the AE.
    Just got a new Cisco Linksys router, which is upstairs in the living room, connected to the modem from Comcast. I have an iMac downstairs in the basement, and I'm not happy at all with the internet speeds I'm getting. They are nowhere near what the should be. I've tried power cycling the router/modem and all that, but still haven't seen an improvement.

So I was thinking about buying an Airport Express. Here are a few questions I had.
    1) I could plug in the AE downstairs and connect the iMac to the AE with an Ethernet cord, correct? I assume this would vastly improve speeds since it would be a wired connection. If this can be done, which is the proper way to set up the AE during the begginning process.
    2) This will work with an router, correct? It doesn't need to be an Airport Extreme for it to work?

Thanks for the help.

2. mulo, Jul 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2012

mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

1: no speeds will not be faster as the AE still uses wireless to connect to the main router
    2: no, the AE must extend a network created by a TC or an AEBS

your best options would be:
    1: buy a very long ethernet cable and move the cisco router to the centre of your house (I did this with my AEBS)
    2: buy a second cisco router that you know will extend networks, and place that near the centre of your house.

is the cisco router you have 801.11g only, or does it also have 801.11n? if it doesn't have 801.11n, simply replacing it with a router with 801.11n could solve the problem, as 801.11n is much faster, and extends farther.

edit: chances are that your cisco router may be able to extend a network from an AE, but only guessing here.

3. benh911f thread starter macrumors 6502

4. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

do you have issues anywhere else in the house?

if not, its probably an interference issue, in which case i would personally prefer a long ethernet cord.