Need some help deciding on a laptop

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by da2005pizimp, Aug 20, 2010.

1. da2005pizimp macrumors 6502

Hey all, I need some help finding a laptop. I have two windows laptops that I currently use, but I would like to try switching to an apple. I only really need one for itunes, microsoft office, and internet (some youtube, nothing major). I only have a budget of about $250, the less the better :) any help is greatly appreciated.

Here are the specs of my laptops, I would like something compareable if possible:

Compaq: Windows 7, 2gb ram, Intel Celeron CPU 900 @ 2.2ghz (got that from my system profile)

Toshiba: 3gb Ram, AMD Turion X2 dual core mobile RM70 2.0ghz

Thanks again for all the help.

2. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

You will not find any good apple computers for that price except some that will try to get money out of you.

The naked truth is that if you don't have the budget for the macbook then your are much much better of purchasing a windows computer.

3. da2005pizimp thread starter macrumors 6502

I have seen a couple of powerbook g4's on ebay for about 250, they are 15" with about 1.5ghz, and 1gb ram (which I am sure I could upgrade), is that pretty much a waste of money?

4. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

That'd be alright, although they're getting on a bit. To run more modern software, you're better off with an Intel Mac, although they're newer and as a result more expensive.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Don't ruin your experience with Macs by getting ancient PPC Mac. You Toshiba lappy seems decent so either continue using it or just sell them both and get a (refurb) MacBook

6. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

the easy thing would be to buy a powerbook g4 or ibook G4 , as for that price
    you wont get a macbook in a condition you want to use , same actually for the ibooks which scratch and crack easy too
    the powerbooks in that price range are often dented and scratched , all might work well, but its the question if you want to use dented and scratched and cracked laptops with batteries at the end of their life or dead
    i did't despite desperately wanting a ibook again as mine died , i did the sensible thing and bought a hackintoshed netbook for the interim period until i find a ibook again which is in near perfect condition ,it does office , and itunes and youtube too and can keep up with a iBook in most tasks , but for a quarter of the price of a macbook and does what i need it for surfing /email when on holiday or in the garden
    your laptops seem still usable so you could look into if you can hackintosh them all depends if the chipset and graphic card are supported by osx or third party hacks ,and dual boot osx and win7 with bootcamp on them , there are websites and forums for that somewhere on the web to find out which one of your laptops is suited if one is suited

7. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...sell the compaq and use the toshiba while you save up more $$ to get a decent intel macbook...

8. da2005pizimp thread starter macrumors 6502