Need Some Help Deciding On Macbook Pro Retina Please

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by smcgil9899, Feb 3, 2014.

1. smcgil9899 macrumors member

I'm currently in need of a laptop. I have owned many Macbook Pros in the past, mostly 17" models though. I have been looking at the Macbook Pro 15 Retina. I have found many on Craigslist. Mostly are 2012 models with 8GB of RAM and 512GB SSD drives. They cost between $900-$1400. I will be using the computer for creating videos (nothing big, just for church and youtube) and using it Photoshop CC for creating slides for church. I would like to play Star Wars The Old Republic on it also, but just very occasionally when I have time.

I have read on another forum, which is super huge, very active and covers all types and brands of computer, that the Macbook Pro Retina is not that good for heavy video use. One person said they have burnt up several Macbook Pros during the transcoding and rendering process. This person said that the nVidia graphics cards are not that good for Photoshop because they use CUDA and Adobe has gotten away from CUDA and uses OPEN CL solely. This person is very knowledgeable and a expert in the video industry. This person is very professional and credible. So my question is this: Are the Macbook Pro 15 Retinas good for light video editing?

I also have a few more questions.

1. Will it be hard going from a 17" to a 15" Retina?

2. Is $1000 a good price for a 2012 Macbook Pro 15 Retina?

3. Is 8GB good for Photoshop and video editing?

4. Would anyone still buy a 17" Macbook Pro?

Thank you.

2. leman macrumors 604

I doubt that ANY laptop is good for heavy video use (gaming laptops would be my first choice because of the good cooling they provide). Hovewer, you are interested in light video editing ;)

Doesn't sound to me that way. Nvidia GPUs fully support OpenCL.

Sure they are

Depends on whom you ask. Some people enjoy the reduced weight/increased mobility, some people complain that its too small

I'd say its really good!

Yes

I am sure some people would. Personally, I don't see any point to it. But that's me.

3. smcgil9899 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for the responses. The person was telling people to get the Dell and HP mobile workstations because they have the professional business class ISV certified graphic cards.

I keep reading about the 1440 X 900 desktop space on the retina. What is this all about? I would use 1920 X 1200. Will my screen not be as crisp?

4. leman macrumors 604

You don't need a professional GPU to do some light video/photo editing. Actually, I never heard that professional GPUs are faster or better for this kind of work - their niche is usually heavy CAD and certain scientific applications.

You can use 1920x1200. The screen will be crisper then a native 1920x1200, provided the application you use property supports HiDPI content. The 1920x1200 on the rMBP might look slightly blurrier then 1440x900 though (I can't confirm it on my machine, but different people have different perception).

5. disasterdrone macrumors 6502

Some people love the screen size and don't care about the weight - its just personal preference.

6. smcgil9899 thread starter macrumors member

I love the screen size of the 17". The only thing that concerns me is the older hardware. I have actually thought of trying to buy another Late 2011 17" Macbook Pro. Would I know a drastic performance difference from the 2012 15" Retina? I would install a SSD drive in the 17" if I decided to buy one.