Need some help finding a cable

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by woodyd91, Nov 13, 2011.

1. woodyd91 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

My first post on here but im a daily visitor to macrumours.

I'm moving to Australia in January and I didn't want to rely on a £2 plug converter for something as important as my laptop.

So i started to look around the net for something and unless i wanted some fake part from china (no no) the only thing i can find is the apple travel kit, which i don't really want because im paying for whole lot of plugs i will need need and the most important thing is i will be losing alot of length on my power lead.

All im looking for is an Australia power extension lead that goes from an Australian socket to the magsafe brick but doesn't matter where i look i cant find one :S

Hope you guys can help pointing me in the right direction.

Cheers,
    Woody

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I'd buy a converter to begin with, but I'm sure you would be able to find the actual cord when you move, or at worst could get another MagSafe adapter

3. molala macrumors 6502a

If you image google "Australia figure 8 lead", it will show you what you need to get. These will work with the Apple brick, and they're quite generic – if you look at many stereos and radios, they use figure 8 leads.

In fact, the lead I am using now with my Apple brick comes from my Canon camera battery charger.

If you don't want some unknown source product from the internet, you can wait until you get to Oz and go to a reputable electronic store there – offhand, I remember they had Radio Shack and Dick Smiths Electronics. But it still shouldn't cost you more than AUD 10.

4. woodyd91 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks guys, just find it strange as to why apple wouldn't offer this itself, I'm guessing it's so you will buy a whole new magsafe, but thats simply not needed on this occasion and would be a rip off.

Cheers,
    Woody

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

There is nothing special about plugs. They are just pieces of metal that conduct electricity, regardless of what shape they are. You are wasting your time and money; a $2 plug adapter works just as well as a $20 plug adapter.

6. thundersteele macrumors 68030

The $2 thing will be just fine.

The magsafe has a standard plug for the adapters. They won't look as fancy as the adapters sold by apple, but will work fine. I've used a number of cables in the past, including an old playstation power cable, when moving between different countries.

7. lighthouse_man macrumors 6502a