Need some help for a friend

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by WalnutSpice, Sep 5, 2015.

1. WalnutSpice Suspended

WalnutSpice

So I was face timing with a friend the other day and she was showing me her MacBook because we have the same ones, well mine is an early 2009 model still capable of running the latest OS w/o hacks and hers is a 2007 model. But out of curiosity I told her to show me the top of the screen, the menu bar, to see if I could tell if she was running Snow Leopard or Yosemite or whatever. To my absolute horror she's running Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.11 on her Core 2 Duo MacBook. So I offered to upgrade it to SL for her and she said I couldn't. But it does have an admin password I can remove on it (which I can, I have Tiger disks). I asked her why I couldn't upgrade it for her and it turns out her brother is 10 years old and has Aspergers and doesn't like change and he uses that laptop on a daily bases.
    So, aside from removing the password for her and giving her a working version of Skype and Spotify, what can I do for her to somewhat modernize it or get it running faster? She says it is also running slow but can do what most modern computers can. IE, Facebook, Youtube (which shocked me, she could watch full 1080p (Flash of course)). Does TenFourFox work on Intel Macs? I'm not aware of any modern browsers for Intel Tiger.

2. weckart macrumors 68040

3. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

4. headsh0t95 macrumors regular

I think she should dual boot it, so that her brother can use 10.4.x (and set that as default) and she can use the latest version herself (Lion 10.7.5 on a C2D machine). Also I don't think one with Asperger should never update an OS, as I have it myself (a very light form) and am running Windows 10 just fine. Heck, I'm the only one at my home using Windows 10, my other family members are all on Windows 7. I also have a hackintoshed 10.10.4 version on my main machine that I rarely use (for music and video editing) and a PowerMac G4 DA (my sister can use that for midi music recording if she wants). That last one is also rarely used.

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I am going to speak only to this. Two options.

1. TenFourFox Intel 17. Intel specific version of TenFourFox. Runs on my Yosemite Mac Pro at work. Totally out of date though.

2. Use a G3 version of T4Fx and run under Rosetta. Don't believe Intel Tiger has Rosetta though.

6. WalnutSpice thread starter Suspended

WalnutSpice

Thanks, I'll be sure to check that out

7. WalnutSpice thread starter Suspended

WalnutSpice

That's what I was thinking. So I'll probably do that.

8. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

It does.

Take it from an early adopter of the Intel Macs back in spring 2006...

9. MichaelLAX macrumors 6502a

Intel Tiger has Rosetta...

10. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

11. CYB3RBYTE macrumors regular

CYB3RBYTE

I can attest to the Aspergian qualities, I too have a VERY, VERY mild form of it (if you can't tell from this sentence).

I would see if you can first back-up tiger using carbon copy, then going ahead with the dual boot.

UNLESS, if you know your friend quite well she could ask her brother just what he likes about tiger (it may even just be the old apple wallpapers), and try to incorporate it into a new install of SL just so he can use the computer safely in the future.

Nonetheless, before preceding just do a back up of the current install of tiger. Carbon Copy Cloner is a popular program that will create an entire disk image with no issues, and it's free. Hope I helped!

12. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

556fmjoe

Running slowly could be the drive, so a SSD or a faster HDD would make a difference. There could also be unnecessary software running that hogs the CPU. I'd check for that and get rid of anything that isn't needed.

If you're concerned about security, you can follow the NSA hardening guide here: https://www.nsa.gov/ia/_files/factsheets/macosx_hardening_tips.pdf

It's written for Leopard, but most or all of it should still apply. Just be careful with disabling things.