Need some help. G3 airport card ?s

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by computerclueles, Oct 19, 2007.

1. computerclueles macrumors newbie

Ok, first let me say, I know nothing about Macs at all. Ive always been a PC user and needed something portable so my friend told me to get a Mac. I was willing to give it a whirl, so got an ibook G3 on ebay. The one I got did not come with an airport card, so I bought one (also on ebay). When I went to install it, it seems like I might to get the adapter, which I was told wasnt needed on an ibook? But all thats there is kind of an empty space. The antenna hookup is there, but nothing else. Does it sound like I need the adapter?
    Also, Im not sure what to do to make my house wireless? I know I need a router, but wasnt sure what would be compatible for both the mac and my PC?
    Thanks in advance for any advice, I appreciate it :)

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

You don't need an adapter for the AirPort card for the iBook...that's only for certain models of the iMac.

It sounds you possibly purchased an AirPort Extreme card, which is not compatible with the old G3 iBooks. Could that be the case?

If so, you'd need to get your hands on an original AirPort card. Apple stopped making them some time ago, so you'd have to try some place like eBay or the Marketplace here in order to pick one up. Fortunately they've dropped in price as machines requiring them are being retired in large numbers. At one point, the going price was close to $150 after Apple stopped selling them and there were still a large number of active machines needing them.

As for making your house wireless, you'll need a wireless router/gateway of some sort. Many ISPs offer them or you can buy your own. D-Link and NetGear are popular brands, or you can get an Apple AirPort Express or AirPort Extreme base station. Any access point will work with Macs and PCs...they run using the same standards.

3. computerclueles thread starter macrumors newbie

Its definately a regular airport card I have, not the extreme. The only thing inside the actual computer to hook it up to, is the antenna wire, nothing else. Its very strange. :confused:

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Hmm...can you post a pic? What model of iBook is it?

5. computerclueles thread starter macrumors newbie

well, I didnt realize that I was trying to put it in the wrong way :rolleyes: So its in, which is great. Now, I just need to get a network, which is going to be the hard part for me. Are the wireless routers hard to connect? I have comcast high speed internet, so I have a regular router for that, where does that come into play? Is it possible to get a wireless router through your internet company (which in my case is comcast)? Also, once it is all hooked up, how do I get my ibook to recognize it all? Sorry Im so confused..:confused: