Need some help getting Leopard 10.5 onto a bootable USB drive...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by haylsx, Jun 13, 2011.

1. haylsx macrumors newbie

Okay, so I posted a problem on another part of this forum about my Macbook Pro not being able to install DP4 (I messed my Macbook around quite badly installing stuff I didn't understand, and now when I try install Lion 10.7 on the start-up page, it says there is an error, so I would like to get Leopard back onto my MB if possible).

I don't have the original Leopard disks that came with my Macbook, as it was given to me by a friend, and he doesn't have them. I do know my Macbook was shipped with Leopard though.

Basically, I have the full Leopard 10.5 ISO file on my PC (Windows) and I could do with a step-by-step guide on how to get it onto my 250GB external hard drive and be able to boot up my Macbook with it so I can get 10.5 running.

I know you have to format the hard drive also but I haven't a clue what to do (I'm pretty much a Mac beginner here) so if anyone has the patience to work with me on this I would appreciate it VERY MUCH :)

Thanks in advance! :)

2. Bear macrumors G3

Ignoring the legality of wherever you got the Leopard ISO from.

You burn the ISO to a DVD and then boot from the DVD. To do anything more than that on a Windows systems requires getting HFS filesystem software for windows.

Also, the caveat... you said the system came with Leopard originally. Is the ISO you have from a version of Leopard from before or after your system was made?

It might be easier for you to go buy Snow Leopard on DVD and install from that.

3. haylsx thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh okay, I'll use a DVD instead of the USB drive then.

To be honest I'm not sure what version the Leopard file is. Failing it doesn't work I'll just have to phone Apple up and buy a Leopard disc off them. Cheers.

4. Bear macrumors G3

Actually you should be able to (for a reasonable price) buy a copy of the original DVDs that came with your system. That way you get the iLife applications and everything else that your Mac shipped with originally.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Why on Earth would any Intel-based Mac user buy Leopard? Any commercial version of Snow Leopard can be installed on the OP's computer.