Need some help in iPhoto!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by stened91, May 28, 2012.

1. stened91 macrumors newbie

Hi i have about 24k pictures and want to import them all into iPhoto.
    I have all my pictures in different folder from where and when i tok them.

but i tried to put them into iPhoto but they are all in the same folder.

how can i get them to be in the same folder as they where, but in iPhoto istead?

2. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

What do you mean they're all in the same folder? Just drag a folder into iPhoto icon on the dock and it'll be imported to the event named after your folder. Try it.

3. stened91 thread starter macrumors newbie

i tryed :/ but whenever i import the whole folder with many sub-folders it just come up as 1 entire folder in iPhoto.. :(

and when i go to events it just says "last import"

4. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

I normally import straight from a camera, but I did a quick experiment with a folder(Folder One) containing a picture and a folder(Folder Two) also containing a picture.

Dragging Folder One into iPhoto created a separate Event for each Folder. Does that not happen for you?

5. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

I see. Could you just move it so it doesn't has any sub folders? That's the best way to do it. You don't need hierarchy in iPhoto.
    Or you could drag the subfolders first then works your way to your main folder.

6. DrakkenWar macrumors 6502

DrakkenWar

It all comes down to nomenclature...

I had this same problem when I first made the complete switch from the linux world to mac.

When you think of a folder in windows or linux in this situation is a grouping of related files tied to a specific time/place/project/program.
    With iPhoto, this folders for all intents and purposes are known as "events" So you parent folder or "event" would be the root of your iPhoto import. With each sub-folder being and "event" of it's making.
    In that midset, I went through all my photo subfolders I have saved in FSpot and named each with something that reminded me of that set, so when I pulled them into iPhoto I could name the Event there and immediately group them into an order that was understandable and efficient to me. Granted, it was a bit tedious at first to get everything imported, but once it was done it was worth it.

Hope this helps.

7. flynz4 macrumors 68040

With 24K pictures, you might want to start thinking about Aperture 3 instead of iPhoto. THe flexibility of A3 is pretty remarkable.

I would personally wait until after WDC in 2 weeks just to see if Aperture 4 is announced.

/Jim