Need some help installing Leopard on a Powermac G4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by snaky69, May 14, 2012.

1. snaky69 macrumors 603

I was given a great condition Powermac G4 3,3(Gigabit internet) which is currently running on 10.4.11. It is currently running on 512Mb of RAM though there is 768mb installed in the tower(perhaps it isn't seated properly, I'll check later.)

I also own a copy of 10.5.4 retail, which I've been trying to install onto it. Now I know the computer is not able to read DL DVDs, so I made an image of it and tried installing it from my Macbook Pro using target disk mode. This is where the fun begins.

Apparently, my Intel mac refuses to install OS X 10.5 on a powerpc partition table hard drive, it only wants to do so on a GUID partition table, which the powermac cannot boot from.

I also tried sticking the DVD on an external FW hard drive and booting from that to no avail.

Any suggestions?

2. simsaladimbamba

You could run the MacBook Pro in TDM and use the MBP's ODD to install Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard from.
    As for the Firewire device, I don't know, if you mean HDD or ODD.

3. snaky69 thread starter macrumors 603

I meant an HDD yes. You mean using target disk mode from the MBP and using that? That could work yes...

4. simsaladimbamba

Yes, I mean that the MBP be put into TDM and used as external device.

5. snaky69 thread starter macrumors 603

I will definitely attempt this soon enough. I'm mostly curious how that old thing will handle Leopard... It runs pretty quick on Tiger I must say.

6. snaky69 thread starter macrumors 603