Need some help Installing Snow Leopard on my MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by capitanbuzo, Jun 14, 2010.

1. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

After finally restoring Leopard onto my MBP Late 2007 edition, I am trying to upgrade it to Snow Leopard. At first, there were no problems. I updated Leopard to 10.5.8 and then proceeded to install SL. Everything went smoothly: I looked at the install time and it said something like 37 minutes remaining. I left the room and came back to see the home screen. Turns out the installer quit during the install. Now, every time I put in the Snow Leopard disc into the optical bay, it spins for 30 seconds and then ejects it. Trying to troubleshoot this, I put the disc into my Mac Pro. Works fine there. My last idea was to create an image of SL and put it on one of my flash drives. After doing that, my MBP recognizes SL and begins the install but it begins it partially installed (I would say something like 33%) and says there is 33 minutes remaining. After a short while (the progress bar move somewhat prior), it says that it cannot install SL and tells me to restart the MBP. Any ideas what to do? I have a feeling that, somewhere in the HDD, is the partial install from the disc that failed. Any other ideas? Like I said earlier, I had a good amount of problems trying to reinstall Leopard onto the machine after reformatting the drive. Any help is appreciated.

Edit: After looking under Macintosh HD, I see an additional folder called "Mac OS X Install Data". Could this be the problem? It looks to mainly be printer drivers inside of it and is 3.54GB.
    Edit #2: After deleting this folder, I am starting from the beginning of the install but, again, I get "Install Failed". I used this disc once to update this MBP but, after reformatting the drive, I can no longer access it from this MBP.

2. mmulin macrumors 6502

Just for the sake of it, why don't you try a clean install of SL? Whatever is blocking your upgrade of Leopard is hard to troubleshoot unless you send the logs of the installer. Upgrades are always a sensitive thing. There also might be something wrong in your MBP (HDD is possible but other things might as well..) and you will know if trying a clean install. Or, at least run disk utility from the installer menu and have your HDD scanned as a first diagnostic measure.

3. capitanbuzo thread starter macrumors 65816

The SL disk will not let me do a clean install (I am using a drop in disc). That is the reason why I did the run around: so that I could erase my HDD and start from scratch for the potential new owner. My Leopard install is now just hours old and I did not install anything other than updates. I believe the next step would be to erase the disk when I boot up the Sl flash drive and see if that works. If not, it looks like I will have to try to get the old discs installed again (I had the same problem with them after I erased the HDD. It would not allow the disc to stay in the system. I had to leave for 2 hours, tried again, and it worked for that install).

4. capitanbuzo thread starter macrumors 65816

Finally, I got SL to install. After a couple reboots, it finally installed via the flash drive. Problem solved.

5. mmulin macrumors 6502

congrats