Need some help (is iPad a necessary product?)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Zord, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Zord macrumors 6502

Zord

So I have been thinking lately of getting an iPad and i'm kinda torn on weather or not this is a necessary product for me to get.

I already have a Macbook and an iPhone 4 so I really wonder if the iPad will get much use. Don't really wanna waste the money.

Anyone else experience this?

P.S. I do a good deal of traveling

Thanks!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Since you're asking, you probably don't need one.

3. stisdal macrumors 6502

stisdal

Traveling is when I think the iPad is most useful, although I still use it every day. It's just convenient.

4. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

It certainly is not necessary, but I do use it every day. It is actually very handy for traveling.

5. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

The iPad is not a necessity, but if you gave me a choice of giving up my iPhone or the iPad, I'd give up the iPhone.

6. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

If you get it you probably wont use your MacBook anymore.

7. saberahul macrumors 68040

You don't deserve one. People who need other people to justify their purchases obviously don't deserve the product - I'm not trying to be rude; rather, down right honest. No matter how old are you (well obviously I'm assuming you're past the immature line) you need to be able to make such decisions on your own... for those who are confused on how well the product may suit them (a valid question) should go to Apple and try the device out - browse the apps to see what suits them best and then make an informative decision. As far as the cost of the device, no one but yourself can advice on the budget and how much of an affect it will be on your bank balance.

8. Richie1981 macrumors newbie

I don't travel much and I only use mine 3 or 4 times a week, I think I would get a lot more use out of it if I traveled a lot. If you have to ask you probably don't need it, I mean you've made it this far without one right?

9. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

It's not necessary for anyone really, it's just convenient depending on what you do. If you have the iP4 and a MB already, it likely wouldn't see a ton of use

10. coyotegospel macrumors newbie

First, let me say that I love my iPad. Whether using it for business (to have quick access to PDF documents on a viewable screen when meeting with clients (amongst other uses)) to pleasure (surfing the web on my couch during commercial breaks) it is something that I use nearly every day.

As far as being something necessary? Absolutely not. Print outs of documents worked fine before the iPad and they'll work fine for years to come. The web can be browsed on phones on laptops, etc etc.

But for me the (relatively) low cost combined with the convenience factor of being able to pull something up in seconds (and not waiting for a laptop to boot) has proven a great asset and I'm sure many others would agree.

In short:
    iPad does not equal necessity
    iPad does equal convenience, portability, a great user experience and a fantastic device that does everything the typical person would use a laptop for 95+% of the time

11. bdavis89 macrumors regular

NO? Of course not? It wasn't made to be necessary, but rather "magical" instead...

I'm actually picking one up tomorrow. Its going to replace my 3g touch, which i'm giving to my gf, cause i'm finally getting a smartphone in december. What is great about it is the convenience. You can easily get online, check email, read, keep organized, etc without having to boot up a computer. I don't have a laptop, but only a desktop and a ipod touch, so for me it will be nice to have a nice screen to get things done between desktop time.

12. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

You should consider it if you are thinking of leaving your macbook at home when you travel and carrying the iPad as a lighter replacement w/ better battery consumption...

13. chrisiw macrumors regular

Yes a fantastic bit of kit, but it has replaced my MacBook in use, it's just so easy and handy to use. Just two negatives for me, it does need Flash, and it's poor at YouTube (very slow) when the MacBook along side displays YouTube with no problem on the same WiFi.

14. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

He was just asking for an opinion....

15. macfanrutler macrumors regular

macfanrutler

I also do a good bit of traveling... This is when I use it the most. Reading books while at the airport or in the plane. Its a lot easier to handle than a laptop on the plane. Also with a subscription to Netflix it helps pass the time while in the hotel. Did I survive traveling before the iPad, yes. Am I happy I bought one, yes. I love the idea of not having to carry around heavy books with me as well.

16. Zord thread starter macrumors 6502

Zord

This is exactly what I was referring to!! I may not have been very clear on what I was intending on using it for. I was really trying to get an idea of what it is to use an iPad instead of my Macbook. I'm getting a little tired lugging the Macbook around and was just curious if the iPad could handle most of the everyday task. Just looking for individual experience thats all!

Not a lecture on how i DON'T deserve it. Thanks Dad. . . LOL!

17. Zord thread starter macrumors 6502

Zord

Thank You Jaro!!

18. Q-Dog macrumors 6502

Q-Dog

IF I had a macbook and an iphone, I would not have gotten the ipad. But I have neither, so the iPad is perfect for me.

I have taken the iPad on extended trips 3 times ( 3 or 4 weeks each) and it has been the perfect travel device. It is a great device for the RV too.

19. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

The thing I like most about MR is that if I miss one or two or three threads that are exact repeats of the same topic, I can always wait for someone to completely ignore the search function and post a repeat thread that has been rehashed over, and over and over again. Keep up the good work.

20. toomer macrumors newbie

I have a MBP and an iPhone 3GS. But my 3G iPad is my most favorite gadget for when I'm traveling.

I go to about a dozen trade shows a year, and speak at an equal number of events as well. So, my "work needs" when I'm traveling are not heavily tilted towards creation of content, but consumption of content ... and keeping up with what's going on back at the home office. Here's what a typical trip to a conference looks like for me:

- Fly to event. Check flight status via TripCase. Watch some purchased iTunes video content to keep me distracted, or read some iBooks.

- Hop in taxi to event or hotel. Bring up Navigon on either iPhone or iPad to make sure the taxi driver seems to know where he's going.

- Register at registration booth of conference. Throw out whatever useless bag o' crap they've given me. Download the PDF of the conference agenda to GoodReader.

- Set up all my appointments in Calendar, or confirm the existing appointments/on-site meetings.

- Attend sessions. Take copious notes via Evernote. Record audio. All sync'd up to the cloud. Fabulous.

- Visit expo booths ... get a look at new products. Take photos with the iPhone (again via Evernote).

- Check in on emails during breaks. Respond to AIM push notifications as they come in, if they're important.

- Handle a few conference calls on the iPhone, while taking notes on the iPad (again, in Evernote).

- If conference is more than 1 day, use TimeTuner on either the iPad or the iPhone to act as an alarm clock when I go to bed, playing the home station I'm used to listening to (this has caused confusion on more than one morning for me though). Repeat previous events.

- Fly back home. Check flight status via TripCase. Watch some purchased iTunes video content to keep me distracted, or read some iBooks.

Generally speaking, if I am traveling for 1 day, I absolutely will not pack a laptop. It's wonderful. If I'm traveling for 2+ days, I may take the laptop ... depending on what needs to get done. But, the laptop is generally relegated to staying in the hotel room for the duration of the trip - it doesn't go out with me during the business day.

21. jsbaugh macrumors 6502

It really depends on if you have to use your Macbook a lot. I have a macbook, iphone, imac and ipad. I cant remember the last time I touched the macbook. I use the imac for work. The ipad has taken the place of the macbook which was used for lounging, traveling etc.. If you dont need the features of a macbook then sell it and get the ipad. You wont regret it.

22. hcho3 macrumors 68030

I would wait for iPad 2. It looks like apple will release it next 6 months. We are in middle cycle on iPad. Unless u really want it now, hold it off.

23. jlmba08 macrumors newbie

I just sold my iPad after about three months. For some reason I just stopped using it after I got the iPhone 4. And I couldn't stand going back to the iPad resolution after getting used to the retina display on iPhone 4-huge difference. I would make sure you have a use in mind before purchasing especially With an iPhone 4 and a Mac. Make sure you have a need that one of those isn't fulfilling, especially because of the price.

24. 1969cj5 macrumors member

None of the stuff is truly necessary, if you want it, can afford it responsibly, get it. It is great for travel.

25. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

When you get down to it, electricity isn't "necessary" (unless perhaps you are on a life support machine). There's many people in the world who do without. So it's all relative. Only you can decide if a product is important enough for you to get. Only you can know how you would use it and how you use the things you have now.