Need some help making my MacBook the same as my iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Kimi, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Kimi macrumors regular

What I've got is a MacBook and an Intel iMac. My iMac is set up how I want it to be, and it'll take me ages to set my MacBook up the same. What I want to do is just copy over all the setting from my iMac.

I'm not sure exactly how this would work, but I'm planning on just copying the Library folders from my iMac to my MacBook. Copy over the Application folder to, and what ever documents and such that I need. I think that's all that needs to be done, but can I just totally overwrite the files I already have on my MacBook (boot in to disc mode and then replace them). Or would it be better to set up a second account, then replacing it's default folders with the iMac ones?

Thanks for any help.

2. Dudeman486 macrumors member

i don't think switching those libraries would be a very good idea, as they are bound to have stuff that is singular to either the macbook or the ibook.

i would try using SuperDuper and imaging one of the hard drives to an external. make sure it is bootable. then boot taht drive on the other computer, and test drive it for a day or two. if everything seems to work well, just overwrite that disk onto the other hard disk. of course make sure to keep a backup of the disk you overwrite, just in case something goes wrong.

for example. copy the macbook hard drive to the external. boot that drive on your imac. see if everythign works. if it does, image the external macbook copy onto the internal hard disk of your imac. keep a backup of your imac disk just in case.

3. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

That will NOT work, don't even attempt it. What you need to do is scare up a Firewire cable and use Migration Assistant (it works GREAT), OR if you don't need the contents of the Macbook, use target disk mode and Carbon Copy Cloner to make a duplicate of the iMac to the Macbook. Reboot after cloning and make your prefs changes like the name and such.