Need some help, mbp won't post

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fongyuen, Oct 18, 2012.

1. fongyuen macrumors 6502

my 2008 17 mbp was getting kinda dusty inside and the fans were constantly running so I decided to open it up, clean it out, remove the factory thermal paste and re-apply some new arctic silver. Everything went well, checked to see if it booted up before putting everything back together and it was fine. But after I re-assembled everything, hit the power button, the chime came on, then nothing. Subsequent hits to the power button would not even evoke the chime. Not sure what to do, I opened it up again to the point where I last knew that it booted up, which was when I took the screws to the cover off and lifted up the keyboard, then it powered on just fine. But after I put everything back together again, it shutdown on me and exhibited the same problem as before. Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong here? Thanks in advance.

2. fongyuen thread starter macrumors 6502

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Do you have all the screws in the right place? I guess it could be possible that a long one in the wrong spot may be causing a short only when the top case is installed.

4. fongyuen thread starter macrumors 6502

hmm, interesting possibility. I think they are in their original positions. Let me try one at a time.