Need some help! Not sure what's going on..

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iWinnipegger, Jun 26, 2008.

1. iWinnipegger macrumors regular

Here's the deal, i've got an iMac and a macbook.
    I'm trying to download torrents (legal ones of course), but they only max out at about 25KB/s and they won't go any faster than that.
    I don't know if there's something wrong with the internet connection cause when i download stuff that isn't a torrent, (Podcasts from iTunes, dmg files from websites) they go really fast. (700KB/s)

Anyone know what the problem is?
    I'm using a linksys router if that helps,
    and i tried using transmission and bitcomet and none of them let my downloads go past 25KB/s

thanks for the help

ask my questions of you're not clear on something,
    thanks,

2. pianos101 macrumors regular

have you made sure the port forwarding settings are correct on your router? There are NUMEROUS instructions out there on how to accomplish this on google, and probably many on here, too. This is a common problem that has a very easy fix.

Just google "torrent router settings," or something to that effect...

3. iWinnipegger thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the help man
    but i all i can find are tutorials for windows
    does anyone have a link that will help me for os x?

thanks!

4. pianos101 macrumors regular

tutorials for windows? you should be seeing tutorials for the router itself, which, obviously, are OS independent... The only thing you'd have to do in OS X is open the port on the firewall, which if you don't have turned on (System Preferences > Security> Firewall tab > check which circle is highlighted. If the first one is you're all set, just open the ports on the router. Otherwise, check the third and add your torrent application to the list... you should be good to go then. Just make sure to tell your torrent program to use the same ports that you opened up on your linksys router...