Need some help on Jailbreak

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by doc2142, Nov 28, 2010.

1. doc2142 macrumors member

I have 2 phones 3gs both are on 4.1 with 5.14.02. Can I jailbreak with limerain and unlock? or do I need to go to 4.2.1?

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Look at this post here. You will have to update to the iPad baseband, because your current baseband isn't able to be unlocked.

3. doc2142 thread starter macrumors member

Ok I see, So the only draw back to this is my warranty will expire. However I will be able to use the phone on any carrier. correct? will this let me update my phone to future updates like 4.4 or w/e?

4. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Yes, the new unlock will void your warranty for good because you're updated the iPhone's baseband to that of an iPad (no going back after that).

To upgrade to a future update would be iPhone suicide. The iPhone Dev-Team or whoever would have to figure out a way to unlock the iPad baseband again. So updating would be a big no-no, unless there is a solution.

For now, I suggest not upgrading and changing your baseband. Wait for a better way to get the unlock. But if you really need it then go for it. If you can wait, use another phone.

5. doc2142 thread starter macrumors member

WoW really? so I am stuck on 4.1 software because my baseband is the same as ipads? Why would anyone do that...

6. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Exactly. The new unlock is really for people who are stuck and actually need it. It's really not for people who want to upgrade just because they want to upgrade. If your iPhone is out of warranty like a 3 year old 3G, then updating your baseband for the unlock is doable.