Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
Hello, I just purchased a Nikon D50, body only. I am looking for a good walk around lens. I can spend up to 500, but I am willing to pay a little extra if it is worth it. The two things that are important to me is that I want a fast and a sharp lens. I do not need one that zooms super far, but it will be my only lens, so it has to be versatile. I looked at dpreview, but it just confused me more. Anyone have any good suggestions?

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
nospleen said:
Hello, I just purchased a Nikon D50, body only. I am looking for a good walk around lens. I can spend up to 500, but I am willing to pay a little extra if it is worth it. The two things that are important to me is that I want a fast and a sharp lens. I do not need one that zooms super far, but it will be my only lens, so it has to be versatile. I looked at dpreview, but it just confused me more. Anyone have any good suggestions?

Sounds as though you'd be happy with Nikon's new 18-200mm VR. It's not the fastest out of the gate but ISO can be adjusted and its versatility and surprisingly good image quality makes up for the fact that it's not f/2.8 or faster.

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
Chip NoVaMac said:
For the $500 you are willing to spend, IMO the Tamron 17-50 2.8 may do the job.

I use to have the 28-75 back when I had a Canon. I loved that lens...

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
The 18-70 "kit lens" isn't bad. I use it on a lot of stuff and have never felt like I was being short changed.

If you can spring for the 18-200 go for it, though. Goes an extra 130 over the previously mentioned one, so you have quite a range to work with.

i 2nd clix recommendation for the 18-200 its about 700 and heavily backordered. but unless you need a dedicated macro or ultrawide, this should fit all your lens needs. i know a couple people who dont use any other of their extensive lens collections once they got this. just because it was so versatile - yes there are slight compromises as clix mentioned, but def nothing to outweigh its overall usefullness

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
I have used the AF Zoom-Nikkor 28-100mm f/3.5-5.6G (there is a model with VR, I think) for aerials a lot and it is quite a nice lense. Not quite as wide as you might want, but still a nice lense.

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2004
Cape Breton Island
My mom's fav lens is a 35-135 with a macro function, that way when she is walking around a foreign city she can take detail shots, but also take a picture of something across the street.

She calls it her magic lens.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Yeah, there's a 28-105 mm f/3.5-4.5. This is quite fast considering the price! Don't know how much it costs in US dollars, but it should be well below your $500 limit.

Otherwise, check out Sigma, Tamron, or Tokina lenses. Sigma has a 28-105 f/2.8-4.0 lens along with a 24-70 lens that also does macro's (although likely not at 1:1, but likely 1:2 or 1:4 or something). Tamron offers a similar lens that does macros as well, in case you decide to do them.

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
FrankieTDouglas said:
The 18-70 "kit lens" isn't bad. I use it on a lot of stuff and have never felt like I was being short changed.
I really value wideangle so for me a zoom range that begins at 18mm is preferable over one that begins higher at say 28mm or 35mm. Remember the 1.5x crop factor of the DX sensor.

If you can spring for the 18-200 go for it, though. Goes an extra 130 over the previously mentioned one, so you have quite a range to work with.
The Nikon 18-200 VR is a wonder lens as far as I'm concerned. It is compact, lightweight, offers image stabilization, delivers a surprisingly good image, and most importantly covers the entire essential range. Little wonder that it is chronically backordered -- people know a good thing when they see it. Prices are coming back down to $669, but you may have to wait up to 3 months (like I gladly did).

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
Clix Pix said:
Sounds as though you'd be happy with Nikon's new 18-200mm VR. It's not the fastest out of the gate but ISO can be adjusted and its versatility and surprisingly good image quality makes up for the fact that it's not f/2.8 or faster.
As long as he's not planning on doing any "low light action" photography.

I can attest to the macro capabilities of the Sigma 24-70mm f2.8, it will focus close enough to do what most people want for macro.

Whats weird is that ever Sigma lens I have is practically a macro lens. INCLUDING the 10-20mm, that lens can focus amazingly close to subjects.

For an every day lens I've always recommended the Sigma 18-125mm, but your budget is bigger than most people's. The Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 is a really nice lens too.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
ksz said:
The Nikon 18-200 VR is a wonder lens as far as I'm concerned. It is compact, lightweight, offers image stabilization, delivers a surprisingly good image, and most importantly covers the entire essential range.

When I went out to SF in January for MacWorld, I took two lenses: the 12-24mm and the 18-200mm (which, fortuitously had just come in at the store about two days before I was taking off on the trip). The 18-200 lived on the camera, while I used the 12-24 only a couple of times for scenes that were so encompassing that the wider the lens the better, but I could easily have done the entire trip with just that 18-200mm. It will always be among my favorites.

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
Clix Pix said:
... The 18-200 lived on the camera,...
That's what mine is doing at the moment in India...although I admit I didn't bring any other lens. But I'm not even thinking of any other lens right now!

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
ksz said:
That's what mine is doing at the moment in India...although I admit I didn't bring any other lens. But I'm not even thinking of any other lens right now!

The most recent trip I took at the beginning of this month required that I have a lot of lenses with me for various purposes, but when I go out to SF again in January 2007, the only ones I'm taking are again the 18-200mm VR, the 12-24mm and also either the 28mm f/1.4 or 50mm f/1.4. There were times when I would have benefitted from having a really fast lens with me. Not an absolute necessity, of course, but since neither of those lenses is really large it would be easy enough to tote along.... Definitely, though, I think the 18-200mm VR is quite sufficient for any trip -- its versatility and image quality is amazing.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
FrankieTDouglas said:

I second the above. I bought the 18-70 when I bought the D50. I had an assortment of Nikor lenses going back 20 years. I find I used the 18-70 for most everytrhing except some times I use the 85 f/1.8 for existing light "pepole shots" ormy old 70-210 if I need more reach or my 55mm macro. But these are specialized lenses

I guess the 18-200 could take the place of the 18-70 and the "VR" feature would amke the 200 end of the zoom range actualy usfull.

If you need a fast lens there is the 17-35 f/2.8 but it is close to double your budget and I don't think 35mm is long enough if that is the only lens you carry.

I tend to carry just one lens. I'll deside on the types of photos I want and I'll simply pass on the shots that one lens can't do well.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Clix Pix said:
When I went out to SF in January for MacWorld, I took two lenses: the 12-24mm and the 18-200mm (which, fortuitously had just come in at the store about two days before I was taking off on the trip). The 18-200 lived on the camera, while I used the 12-24 only a couple of times for scenes that were so encompassing that the wider the lens the better, but I could easily have done the entire trip with just that 18-200mm. It will always be among my favorites.

My travel kit for Reykjavik and London earlier this year was the D50 and the 18-200VR, paired with the 10.5 fisheye. It was an awesome combo for light traveling.

Surprisingly my favorite camera during the trip was my trusty LX-1 from Panasonic. It was sort of freeing not be weighed down with bigger heavy gear.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.