Need Some Help Please (15" MBP)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by happle, Nov 3, 2011.

1. happle macrumors 6502a

ok so im looking at purchasing a new 15" mbp (the high end model with 1gb of VRAM). now i was just reading some threads saying that because the mbp's have intel hd3000 gfx that the gpu shares something with the cpu? can someone explain this to me more? also will this effect game play?

i plan to play diablo 3 on my new machine but im wondering if the 15" mbp will be adequate. what do you guys think? or should i wait until the mbp redesign comes out?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

What is your metric of "adequate" ? A MBP will run most games acceptably well if you adjust the settings. If you want a hardcore gaming machine, build your own PC.

3. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

You should make your thread title more descriptive: "Need Some Help Please" made me think this was troubleshooting for a problem.

Because the MBP's have switchable graphics, the HD3000 shares DDR3 ram with the rest of the computer. However, the dedicated card has its own DDR5 video ram...

Assuming that Diablo 3 works in OSX or in Windows (with bootcamp) and you get a model with a 6750m/6770m you'll be fine.

4. daftpunkstu macrumors member

it'll run fine, maybe not in the BEST graphics settings but more then playable

5. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I would most certainly agree with this assessment. Sage advice.

If however you are truly a hardcore gamer, then nothing beats a purpose built PC.

Cheers :)

6. happle thread starter macrumors 6502a

sorry about the vague title guys. im not a hardcore gamer by any means. i game on my ps3. the only game i will be playing is diablo 3 on a mac. i would like to be able to run it on high not ultra settings and run smoothly. i also produce music so mac is my obvious choice.

7. thundersteele macrumors 68030

why don't you look up the Diablo III system requirements?

For the GPUs, when you are playing the macbook will use the dedicated GPU that has it's own video ram. The built in graphics should not be a problem here.

8. happle thread starter macrumors 6502a

well id like to know if it will run on medium-high settings smoothly without overheating etc.

9. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Well,
    A) how should we know given that the game was not released yet.
    B) macs don't overheat. They get hot under load, but the fans and cooling systems are set up well enough to let it run stable under load for long times.

Blizzard has a history of releasing products with relatively low hardware requirements. Here's what they say for D3:
    http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=en_US&articleId=40446

The recommended system specifications are at the level of a 2009 MBP. So you should be fine with a 2011 MBP. However, since macbooks are not primarily designed as gaming PCs, you can not expect to play all titles appearing in 2012/2013 with full details.

10. happle thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks for this reply. so do you recommend i wait it out for the redesign or buy the spec bumped mbp that just came out at christmas time? i wish apple gave a damn release date for the redesign...

11. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Well, diablo 3 also has no release date yet either.

I'm probably buying now, because I feel I would benefit from upgrading now (battery fading, current machine becoming too slow), and don't want to wait for an unknown amount of time for the next model. I can not recommend what is best for you...

12. happle thread starter macrumors 6502a

gamestop says the diablo 3 release date is in march.

13. thundersteele macrumors 68030

they actually say early 2012 now. But blizzard never really gives a release date until shortly before the release. Just like apple.

14. happle thread starter macrumors 6502a

well it used to say in march like a week ago. my guess is blizzard notified stores when its going to be released and gamestop accidentally put the release date up and then was told not too? id bet it comes out in march.

either way i was looking at the min requirements and it seems my current macbook with the nvidea 9400m would still run d3 on the lowest settings.

i will be getting a new macbook i just cant decide if i should get one at christmas or wait until the redesign.