Need Some Help Swapping out Stock Apple SSD For 3rd Party

Discussion in 'iMac' started by JSmoove05, Mar 12, 2012.

1. JSmoove05 macrumors 6502

Hey all I just received a 3.4 i7 27 iMac with 2tb HDD and 256 SSD 2 weeks ago. I want to swap out the Stock Toshiba SSD for a 3rd Party OTZ one so I have one of the faster SSDs out there. Will there be a problem with overheating or compabitly or anything like that???? If someone can please help me with this like how to go about this. What I need and I how get Lion and everything on the NEW 3rd Party SSD. I read some previous posts but I couldn't find anything really. Any help or if someone can point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated Thanks.

2. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

You just need to swap out your SSD with your new one and install SSD Fan Control to stop the fans spinning up to maximum.

So far as your OS X installation, this is what I did (using an external HDD):

1. Clone your current SSD to external HDD using SuperDuper!
    2. Swap your current SSD for your new third-party SSD
    3. Boot from your external HDD clone (hold alt when booting for startup menu)
    4. Use SuperDuper to clone back to your new SSD.
    5. Reboot using your new SSD as the new startup device, job done.

Hope this helps.

3. rw3 macrumors 6502a

rw3

This is not needed because he already has the stock SSD which means that the HDD Temp Sensor connector on the Logic Board already has a jumper to keep the HDD from going to full blast....

4. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"Hey all I just received a 3.4 i7 27 iMac with 2tb HDD and 256 SSD 2 weeks ago. I want to swap out the Stock Toshiba SSD for a 3rd Party OTZ one so I have one of the faster SSDs out there. Will there be a problem with overheating or compabitly or anything like that????"

Maybe it's just me, but why void the warranty on a brand-new high-end (if you paid for a factory-installed SSD, you got "high-end") iMac by swapping the factory drive for a 3rd-party, just for [what will almost certainly be] a very small perceived "increase" in speed?

Did you buy Applecare with it? If so, the prospect becomes even more ridiculous.

Use the factory-installed drive for a while, before you go ripping into it. If it ain't broke, don't "fix" it.

Just my opinion.....