Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

meth31783

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2003
central connecticut
i just recently bought one of the new dual 2.0 g5's, anyhow i'm in the process of transferring files over from my old dual g4. I connected the two via firewire in target disk mode and was able to access the main hard drive. Now ?i have two other seperate hard drives i installed in the g4 with all my other files but i can't access those. How would i go about accessing them?

The other thing i was wondering about is how i could go about connecting the two so i could still take advantage of my old g4's hard drive space, i.e. using the g5 but saving massive files to the g4's hard drives. I'm rather new to connecting the computers together so any help would be greatly appreciated.

pncc

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
meth31783 said:
Now ?i have two other seperate hard drives i installed in the g4 with all my other files but i can't access those. How would i go about accessing them?

The other thing i was wondering about is how i could go about connecting the two so i could still take advantage of my old g4's hard drive space, i.e. using the g5 but saving massive files to the g4's hard drives. I'm rather new to connecting the computers together so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Easy. Both of your CPUs have Gigabit ethernet so just buy a CAT6 crossover ethernet cable and setup file sharing between the two. You will get respectable speed (?20MB/sec) and it's cheap.

If you already have the G5 connected to the Internet, tell me your exact setup including what modems, routers and/or hubs you have.

meth31783

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2003
central connecticut
thank you for your response, currently both macs are running internet off airport, and both have their gigabit ethernet ports free. We are running cable internet off the base station to three macs in the home. i will have to make a run over to best buy today to get meone of those cat6 cables. I was actually looking at those a few days ago thinking maybe i could do that this way but wasn't sure, and decided to ask the knowledgable users here first.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
you could also share files over the airport network, though it obviously would not be as fast as hard wiring a gigabit network. i know in finder you can type comand-k to connect to a computer on your network as long as you have file sharing enabled and a correct user name and password. but i am currious if there is a way to share a large drive on another computer and share it as an open drive instead of sharing a certain file in your home directory. i know you can share a drive on a (dare i say) windows network so there must be a way to do it more simply on a network of apples!!!

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
Yes, both of his Macs have gigabit ethernet--but they also both have autosensing ports, so a crossover cable isn't necessary. A regular cat6 (not cat5) cable will do. You could get a crossover if you like, but you don't need to and they cost more.

You could network the computers by Airport, but it would be pretty slow. Ethernet is faster. You can do it over firewire too. I can't remember the specifics but it was pretty easy to set up when I did it. It was very fast too.

meth31783

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2003
central connecticut
ok i've connected the cat6 cable to both the g5 and g4, and enabled file sharing. Now i still seem to be sharing these files over the airport connection. What should i do next.

theranch

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
Atlantic City area
check this...

meth31783 said:
ok i've connected the cat6 cable to both the g5 and g4, and enabled file sharing. Now i still seem to be sharing these files over the airport connection. What should i do next.
Make sure you have all of this set:
1. AppleTalk is turned on on both computers.
2. File sharing is turned on on both computers.
3. Permissions are set so that you can connect to your G4 HD's.
(Apple Key+ i on each HD and set the permissions so that you can have access to them).

Check those items. I think you should be able to use your original configuration with the airport. We have 5 macs networked here using an airport and I work on my laptop then save to an extra HD on a G4 so I know that this works.
Good luck!

meth31783

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2003
central connecticut
ok so this is where i'm at, i set the permissions on the g4 hd, allowed file sharing, apple talk, and turned off the airport. From the G4 i'm able to connect over to the G5, i'm able to drop files in the drop box over to it. However it will not let me access the drive. Now when i try to connect over from the g5 to g4 the connection just times out. i'm a bit confused.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.