Need some help. (Urgent) Updating to 10.7

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by harveylong26, Nov 5, 2014.

1. harveylong26 macrumors newbie

harveylong26

Friend of mine gave me an old Macbook 1,1 from 2006 (Dont know if early or late 2006)
    https://www.ifixit.com/info/ID-your-Mac/382
    Theres my mac model etc... And its a core duo, 1.83ghz.
    2GB of ram and a 120gb SATA HDD, HDD is empty apart from a few bits of basic software like LibreOffice, Chrome, Skype etc... And some software I need on the laptop requires 10.7 (Lion i think?) and im on 10.6.8.

Ive been to several fourms and none were of help to me. My question is :
    Anybody know an answer?:)

2. logana macrumors 65816

logana

If it is a Core Duo the it won't run OSX 10.7......

If it is a Core 2 Duo then it will - click on "about this Mac" and it will show you whether it is a Core Duo or a Core 2 Duo.

3. harveylong26 thread starter macrumors newbie

harveylong26

Its a core duo.. damn.
    Ive heard you can edit a .plist file and add your mac id to it or something? Would this work, and if so how would I do it?

4. harveylong26 thread starter macrumors newbie

harveylong26

So literally no way possible, at all?:mad:

5. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Correct - no way - Core Duo is 32 bit and 10.7 and later are all 64bit....

There was a developer preview version of 10.7 that could be hacked to run by editing the plist but that did not work on the retail versions.

6. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

There was a way by modifying a plist in the installer, but it just isn't practical and that was on the developer preview way back when last I heard of it.

Snow Leopard is a solid OS on that machine. Is there any chance the software you need has an older version that works on 10.6? Most of the software I've needed had older versions available if needed.

Such as 1Password:
    [​IMG]
    or TRIM Enabler:
    [​IMG]

Some apps may need a bit of searching though, such as Aperture or anything on the App store. Some will allow older versions to be downloaded, others you have to hunt for.

Otherwise, you'll just have to get a Core 2 Duo or newer mac. I'd suggest at least a 2009 model so you can run up to Yosemite. But I don't know your budget. Got mine for $200 on eBay.