Need some help with a external HD hooked up to an Airport Extreme.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sandman512, Nov 6, 2016.

1. sandman512 macrumors member

SO, I have a Airport Extreme with an external HD hooked up to it. Up until about an hour ago, I was able to view the files on the HD via the FINDER window. Now, I can see the HD(named Homeserver) but when i connect to it, I cannot see the FILES on the HD. The files are still there as I connected the HD directly to my PC. Any advice? Thanks!

2. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

That seems very odd. Doesn't any external HD connected to an Airport Extreme (or Time Capsule) need to be formatted as JHFS+ (i.e., OS X extended, Journaled) ? If that is true, it seems unlikely that a PC would be able to "see" the files on it (unless you had some extra software to read HFS+ filesystems on the PC)...

So I'm wondering what filesystem the disk is formatted in (perhaps I'm wrong about the HFS+ requirement)?

Oh, wait, maybe you mean "The files are still there as I connected the HD directly to my" Mac? (Sorry, I always interpret PC to mean a Windows machine.)

Either way, I don't know what's happened, unfortunately -- I've never had that happen. Maybe silly question, but have you tried restarting (or power off/on) the Airport Extreme? Weird.