Need some help with a file server!

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by mrmeister, Apr 12, 2012.

1. mrmeister macrumors regular

Hi,
    I'm wanting to get a mac mini or the mac mini server (whichever is needed) and connect all of my random external drives i have lying about to it. Basically, i'm wanting to set up a mini file server that i can access from anywhere in the world. I have enough space with the external drives to store my music library, other general storage and maintain a backup of my OS drive and portable external that i carry around with me, but i don't know how i'd set it up so that i could access my hard drives and use them normally from anywhere.
    Also, with Mail Server, i'd like it if i could store all of my emails on the server computer and be able to access them on my Macbook. I don't know what i need though. For my needs, do i even need the server program or can i just use Lion (or even Snow Leopard if i choose) by itself? And if i did need the server, would i need it on just the server computer or both the server and my Macbook?

Sorry if i haven't explained this very well, if you didn't fully understand just ask me and i'll try to rephrase it.
    Thanks in advance
    mrmeister

2. Mattie Num Nums macrumors 68030

Mattie Num Nums

If less than 10 people are connecting at once then you won't need server. You can set up a share and share it out to what I believe is 10 concurrent users. You will need to open Firewall ports to do this though and the amount of bandwidth you would be using to stream music would probably throw some red flags at your provider. It is doable though!