Need some help with a problem I have. Fix or Buy New

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sdfd504, Sep 20, 2010.

1. sdfd504 macrumors regular

Well as a few of you may have read I had the bad luck of dropping my 3 year old 17" C2D MBP. I got word from the Mac store that the repair will be around $815 for the board that got broke and then around $300 for the case to be replaced. So now I have to decide if I want to fix a three year old machine that has been fine other then a new hard drive in it about a year ago or buy a new one. I was thinking that the new i5 17" MBP would be a lot faster machine then what I was using before with my C2D but have never had any hands on time with them. I can get the new MBP for around $2200 or get the old one repaired for around $1100. The money is tight but I am just afraid that something else may go wrong on the old one after I get it back and then it would have been better to just buy new?

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

My opinion, you'll get your moneys worth by buying new in the long run.

3. sdfd504 thread starter macrumors regular

Will I notice a difference between the i5 vs the i7 in everyday use? No photo or movie editing or anything like that. Just for work use.

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Once repair price gets to a price of a new computer, it's better to go new especially if the computer being repaired is 3 years old.