Need some help with a purchase (possible switcher)

glay

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2004
60
0
Hey guys, well I posted here on the Markplace forum that I was in the market for a powerbook. Well I guy emailed me privately and said he wanted to sell his 8 mnth old Pb 15" combo rev.c for $1100. I took the offer and I paid him $90 through paypal for postage (that is all I could afford at the moment) and the rest once the Pb came and was in working order. This is his ebay feedback,

http://feedback.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=bb30_40

Here are the specs he listed:
1.33Ghz
512 Mb Ram
60Gb HDD
Combo Drive
Running Panther
AlBook

What do you guys think? He sent me these pictures as well.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y231/chocoicecream/powerbook/IMGP1646.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y231/chocoicecream/powerbook/IMGP1645.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y231/chocoicecream/powerbook/IMG19291.jpg
 

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
1,455
0
I'm always super cautious about dealing with people off of eBay.

Does Paypal cover you through non-eBay transactions?

At least he is willing to send you the PB before you pay $1100....so maybe that is a good sign.
 

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
3,070
3
Calgary, AB
glay said:
Hey guys, well I posted here on the Markplace forum that I was in the market for a powerbook. Well I guy emailed me privately and said he wanted to sell his 8 mnth old Pb 15" combo rev.c for $1100. I took the offer and I paid him $90 through paypal for postage (that is all I could afford at the moment) and the rest once the Pb came and was in working order. This is his ebay feedback,

http://feedback.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=bb30_40

Here are the specs he listed:
1.33Ghz
512 Mb Ram
60Gb HDD
Combo Drive
Running Panther
AlBook

What do you guys think? He sent me these pictures as well.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y231/chocoicecream/powerbook/IMGP1646.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y231/chocoicecream/powerbook/IMGP1645.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y231/chocoicecream/powerbook/IMG19291.jpg

lol, you just lost yourself $90 my friend. Think about this, why would anyone(outside family/close friends) be whilling to send away a $1100 piece of equipment and just ask for $90 for shipping? You got swindled my friend.

Let me know if the laptop ever arrives :rolleyes:
 

glay

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2004
60
0
mac-er said:
I'm always super cautious about dealing with people off of eBay.

Does Paypal cover you through non-eBay transactions?

At least he is willing to send you the PB before you pay $1100....so maybe that is a good sign.
Yes, I think they do. I'm not 100% sure though.
 

glay

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2004
60
0
dornoforpyros said:
lol, you just lost yourself $90 my friend. Think about this, why would anyone(outside family/close friends) be whilling to send away a $1100 piece of equipment and just ask for $90 for shipping? You got swindled my friend.

Let me know if the laptop ever arrives :rolleyes:
LOL, well I only have a student credit card with a $500 limit of which I have $100 remaining credit. I told him to check my feedback, initially he wanted half now/half after arrival. Then he agreed the post the Pb first and then I could pay him in installments afterwards.
 

sw1tcher

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
1,644
1,839
dornoforpyros said:
lol, you just lost yourself $90 my friend. Think about this, why would anyone(outside family/close friends) be whilling to send away a $1100 piece of equipment and just ask for $90 for shipping? You got swindled my friend.

Let me know if the laptop ever arrives :rolleyes:
S/He's probably getting one of these PowerBooks
 

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
3,070
3
Calgary, AB
glay said:
LOL, well I only have a student credit card with a $500 limit of which I have $100 remaining credit. I told him to check my feedback, initially he wanted half now/half after arrival. Then he agreed the post the Pb first and then I could pay him in installments afterwards.
dude, your getting ripped off plan and simple. Of cource he wanted half up front and half after. He figured "hey, I'll pocket $500 and dissapear" but since you don't have $500 he's like "well I'll take what I can get"

Honestly, your getting ripped off
 

glay

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2004
60
0
dornoforpyros said:
dude, your getting ripped off plan and simple. Of cource he wanted half up front and half after. He figured "hey, I'll pocket $500 and dissapear" but since you don't have $500 he's like "well I'll take what I can get"

Honestly, your getting ripped off
Honestly, I think I agree with you :(
Is there anyway you think I could get my $90 back?
 

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
22,819
41
Andover, MA
If the PayPal account is backed by a credit card - seems like it is - call your CC company and tell them you were swindled. Try PayPal first, but I doubt they'll be able to help.
 

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
3,070
3
Calgary, AB
glay said:
Honestly, I think I agree with you :(
Is there anyway you think I could get my $90 back?
I doubt it. I have no idea what pay-pal's policy on something like this is but in all seriosness if your willing to send $90 to a person you don't know than you have no one to blame but yourself. I'd kiss the $90 good bye and take this as a lesson learned.

Sorry bout this but in all honesty you should have known better.
 

glay

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2004
60
0
sw1tcher said:
S/He's probably getting one of these PowerBooks
I think im going to be the owner of one of these. He said he will post it tomrrow with a tracking number. I'm scared there is going to be drugs or a bomb in the box! :confused:
 

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
3,070
3
Calgary, AB
glay said:
I think im going to be the owner of one of these. He said he will post it tomrrow with a tracking number. I'm scared there is going to be drugs or a bomb in the box! :confused:

well my advice right now is wait out the next few days and see if you get a tracking # and if ya do track the package and see what arrives. If you get no # and/or nothing ever arrives talk to your CC company
 

glay

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2004
60
0
dornoforpyros said:
well my advice right now is wait out the next few days and see if you get a tracking # and if ya do track the package and see what arrives. If you get no # and/or nothing ever arrives talk to your CC company
Yeah I will do that. Thank you for your advice!

What would be the average price for such a model pb? Is $1100 actually a resonable price to pay? So I can keep my eye out and I will post here from now on before making any decisions when purchasing. Or I might just save up and order one from Apple Online.