Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Original poster
Nov 29, 2013
I just bought AirPods. When I remove it from the case it pairs automatically with my iPhone and I can start listening to music instantly. When I try to use it with 2 devices on the same Apple account like an iPad and an iPhone I keep needing to go into Music blurb in control centre on both devices and select my airpods for them to connect. Is this normal?

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
If you mean two devices at the same time, yeah you’ll have to select them.
Otherwise they should automatically switch between iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch. Mac and Apple TV still need manual selection or at least they did last time I tried.

If they aren’t auto-switching, just un-pair them from your iPhone and re-pair them. Usually sorts out the kinks.

DoubleFlyaway

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2017
Wait, really? What exactly do you mean by automatically switching? Like I’m not supposed to have to tell my phone to use the AirPods when I’ve just been using them on my iPad?

If you mean two devices at the same time, yeah you’ll have to select them.
Otherwise they should automatically switch between iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch. Mac and Apple TV still need manual selection or at least they did last time I tried.

If they aren’t auto-switching, just un-pair them from your iPhone and re-pair them. Usually sorts out the kinks.
[doublepost=1512841511][/doublepost]What you’re saying is how I thought they worked before I bought them, but I thought i must have misunderstood, since mine don’t do that.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Wait, really? What exactly do you mean by automatically switching? Like I’m not supposed to have to tell my phone to use the AirPods when I’ve just been using them on my iPad?

[doublepost=1512841511][/doublepost]What you’re saying is how I thought they worked before I bought them, but I thought i must have misunderstood, since mine don’t do that.

Exactly that, that’s how they should work. As I say only with the iOS devices at the moment, the Mac and TV require manual selection.

My AirPod and my Studio 3 Wireless, which also have the W1 chip work without issues every time.

For instance if I’m using my AirPod’s on my iPhone but then decide to do some exercise. I simply stop the music on the iPhone and start playing music on my Apple Watch. The AirPods detect the change and switch over automatically. It can sometimes take a second or two though.

If your ones aren’t doing that. Then unpair them from the Bluetooth settings on your phone, put them in their case, reboot your phone and pair them again. Making sure of course that all of your devices are up to date with the latest iOS.

Then give it a short time to populate the changes in iCloud and they should work.
As with anything they can get confused, so un-pairing and re-pairing usually fixes issues. Once they’re working as they should you’re unlikely to get a problem for a long long time. If ever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.