Need some help with choosing MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jeknightx95, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Jeknightx95 macrumors newbie

Feb 9, 2014
    So I am starting my college education this coming fall and I have been checking out different laptop/tablet combos. I have a late 2011 15" MBP and have been just using that along with my android phone. I know I will be needing some sort of portable computer for note taking etc. I have a few options I am thinking about, and any help would be awesome.

Option 1:
    15" MBP + Ipad Air

Option 2:
    11" Macbook air + Mac Mini

Option 3:
    Windows Surface Pro 2 + Mac Mini

Option 4:
    Ipad Air + Mac Mini

I do definitely want at least one machine to be running Mac OSX. I love the Ipad Air. I cannot beleive how much lighter and smaller it is than my "New Ipad". I would like something portable to bring to class, library, or wherever, along with something that i can use in my dorm to do papers, research, and hopefully some gaming that has low graphics requirements.
  2. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

Sep 26, 2004
    If I were an undergrad these days I would be seriously considering using an iPad as my principle note taking device with the ever useful Moleskin paper notebook as a backup.

If your profs give you electronic copies of the notes, then you can likely export PDF versions and annotate on them directly with an iPad using something like GoodNotes or Notability. All you would need at that point is a decent stylus to write with.
  3. MarvinHC macrumors 6502a

Jan 9, 2014
    Are you a fast typist?

If yes I would go for either a 11" or 13" air. Not sure why you would still need a tablet or desktop in addition? (instead of an additional desktop get an external screen). The cheapest would probably to keep the 15" Pro that you already have (maybe upgrade with an SSD) and get a 11" for note taking.

If you do not type very well an Ipad could indeed be an alternative for note taking.
  4. kathyricks macrumors 6502

Nov 26, 2012
    Are you sure you could type lecture notes on an iPad Air as fast as you can on a 11" MBA? I know I couldn't.
  5. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

May 16, 2013
    Kansas, USA
    Personally I prefer a 13" MBP (now rMBP) for all school and fun stuff along with my iPhone. I don't have an iPad, but I suppose it might be useful on occasion. I've been looking at the rMini. I mostly use pen and paper for notes. I tend to get distracted by facebook otherwise :rolleyes:.

Anyway, I guess I'd recommend Option 1 either upgrading your current machine or replacing it. Very few people I know have desktop machines in their college dorm rooms (those that do usually have a gaming machine). Laptops are useful because you're not limited to where you can study. Housing internet at my school is sketch, so it's not uncommon to have to go to the library or a coffee shop to get working internet. The Mac Mini also hasn't been updated yet, so you'd be buying older tech unless they update between now and when you start school.

I will shamelessly plug the 13" rMBP though. It's a great all-around useful machine that's portable and sturdy. It doesn't have the issues with creaking or whatever that the 15" model does.

Although if you do want to buy a new Mac laptop, I'd suggest getting by with what you have for now and waiting for the likely Broadwell refresh on October or so. There will also be a new iPad around then as well. There's no rush when you're a good six months from the start of the fall semester :) My spring semester has barely started!
  6. Jeknightx95 thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 9, 2014
    I do believe that I type much faster on my macbook as opposed to my ipad. I am thinking about either the macbook air 13" with upgraded RAM, CPU, and SSD, or the MBP 15" (the one with 2.3 ghz) in combination with an ipad.
  7. eXan macrumors 601

Jan 10, 2005
    Air + monitor, hard to recommend anything else.
  8. lagisibuk macrumors 6502

Jun 25, 2013
    Always Somewhere
  9. Jeknightx95 thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 9, 2014
    Both of those could work, but I'd have to get an ipad also... hmmm
  10. maflynn Moderator

Staff Member

May 3, 2009
    Option #1 seems the best imo. I think getting a 11" MBA is too much of a change after using a 15" MBP.

As noted a 13" rMBP may be in the cards as well and I'd say that might work a bit better in classrooms and what not.
  11. eXan macrumors 601

Jan 10, 2005
    Consider that Air + monitor combined is the same or less as equivalently configured 13 rMBP. For example, in Canada I got my Dell 2312HM 23" IPS for less than 200$, which is less than a difference between MBA and MBP.

So this option is not any more expensive than others if you still need an iPad.
  12. augustya macrumors 68020

Feb 17, 2012