Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nekcik

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 6, 2011
Augusta, Ga.
Hi all!

Let me explain a little about this issue so that I am not profiled as someone who is looking to steal paid apps, I recently started jailbreaking again after a year break as I got hooked into the emulators (Snes9x Ex+ is just awesome on the iphone 6 plus!) and everything was running smooth with just a few paid jailbroken apps I've purchased.

I purchased this one app a while ago called Protube on the appstore (not the cydia store and it recently got an update that removed the ability to download songs from youtube and I really enjoyed that feature (yes I am aware that there is also an app on the cydia store that will allow me to upgrade protube and still use this feature) but I want to keep the older version incase I remove the jailbreak.

There was this developer who was beta testing his new app (not through testflight, you had to download directly from his website) the game is called "The Word II :Hunting Boss" and It was a beta for a few days. the developer clearly stated you had to be jailbroken for the iphone to install it, and I thought it would just be a few easy steps to install using ifunbox but it gave me an error and did not install, I did some searching and installed the wrong version of appsync and some wheres in there I found out the now my iphone was not recognized by itunes/ifunbox and had to Dfu-upgrade to 8.1.3 and then downgrade to 8.1.2 and re-jailbreak (And here is insert my thanks to the people on this site for the helpful information I learned to do all this!)

TL,DR: So my problem is once I put my backup back on my iphone I forgot that I had removed protube from itunes so that I did not accidently upgrade the version and sync to my iphone so even though I'm sure the restore installed all the information about the app "Protube" it didn't have the app to install leaving me with only the upgraded version to download from itunes which I don't want.

So without asking for specific links or anything my question is if I find some place that has the older version of Protube and I somehow install it to my iphone , when I sync to the computer, will it install in itunes and act as a copy I've purchased before? (as I mentioned I buy all my apps so I have no idea how this pirating stuff works but technically I already purchased it before)
If this is something that cannot be posted due to forum rules can someone please let me know via pm?

My plan is to hopefully get this copy and just install to my iphone and hopefully it will still remember the songs I downloaded and all is well, but I have a feeling I'm gonna have to put it into itunes(computer) and go 8.1.3->8.1.2 and re-jailbreak then reinstall backup with the app on itunes to get things right.

Sorry for the long story but I wanted to have all the information for the best possible answers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.