Need some help with external display selection

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mashinhead, Mar 12, 2008.

1. mashinhead macrumors 68020

I have a macbook pro, and an imac. I want a larger display for my macbook. So i was thinking of selling my imac and getting a 30 ACD. Then i started looking at dells. I noticed they have newer models with a higher contrast ratio. Then i started looking at the lower priced dells and they have a higher contrast ratio than apple's. (how is that possible?)

anyway. I started looking at the low end 24"dell because it has a nice price, and I could hook it up to the macbook pro and the the imac, when the macbook pro is attached. Just wanted some advice on what the best thing to do is. I don't mind the way the dells look, and i like that they rotate vertically, but i did actually by on once about a year ago, and there was so much banding i returned it instantly. But maybe they've changed it since then.

2. wh!plash macrumors member

Well, I can tell you at our company we buy both Apple and Dell monitors all the time.

As a usual Apple fanboy, I can say the cinema displays are nice, but i chose a Dell 3007wfp for my setup at home.

The image quality is exactly the same. In fact, Dell and Apple both get their actual LCD panels from the same people (sometimes LG, other times Samsung). Sure, the aluminum bezel is nice on the Apple, but like you said, the Dell is adjustable, comes with a flash card reader on the side, and was half the price (corporate discount).

The black bezel on the Dell doesnt really look 'bad' compared to the Apple, just a little different. If you want it to match, thats one thing, but dont think you're getting any more or less quality by picking one or the other.

And you're right, the price point for the 24" Dell is the sweet spot right now.