Need some help with external Seagate disk.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Zawamura, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Zawamura macrumors regular

I have a 500gb version of the Seagate FreeAgent™ Desktop Drive (http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/external/freeagent_desktop_data_movers/)

Formatted as HFS+ and I'm using Leopard on a macbook pro C2D 2,16GHz.

My problem is that whenever I play my music that I have stored on it through iTunes it randomly "freezes". iTunes stops playing the song and I have to force quit it. and when the disk does this and I try to enter it through the finder, the finder crashes and won't reboot. Hence I need to do a forced restart of the machine, this is really annoying.

So.. is the disc broken? or what can be wrong here. Please help me with this problem :p

2. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

I'd try a different USB Cable and a different port on your Mac, see if it makes any difference.

3. Zawamura thread starter macrumors regular

Trying with another cable and another port now. Will get back with results.

4. lost eden macrumors 6502a

I had a similar problem with my 320GB FreeAgent playing music in Amarok on a Linux machine. The problem was the automatic off feature of the drive; that being that after 15 minutes with no access, the drive would spin down. However it is a dodgy implementation & it often doesn't recognise the small, infrequent accesses require whilst playing music & will spin down part-way through a song & often refuse to spin back up again.

The solution is to disable the auto off feature entirely, though as far as I know the only way to do that is to use the Seagate FreeAgent Tools program which only runs in Windows. Still, that's what I did & I have had no problems since.

5. Zawamura thread starter macrumors regular

So if I turn that feature off in windows it will not turn off in mac os aswell?

Found that the software can now be run on a mac, installing it at the moment.

6. Zawamura thread starter macrumors regular

Installed the windows software under boot camp and changed it to never switch off automaticly now, I'll give it some testing and will write here if it works or not. :)
    Thanks lost eden for the advice :D

7. lost eden macrumors 6502a

The Windows software alters the setting in the firmware of the drive, not a setting in Windows, so no matter what computer you plug it into it will keep this setting. That is how I currently have the drive running always-on, connected to a Linux computer.

8. Zawamura thread starter macrumors regular

So.. I changed the settings in the windows software, but it still shuts off after 15mins again. Worked for a while as I wanted, but then somehow went back to the default settings.

What is causing this? I change it in windows to never switch off automaticly. ;<

9. lost eden macrumors 6502a

By using the Windows software, you have altered the drive's firmware so that it will not switch off of it's own accord. However the operating system can still make it turn off. In OS X, go to System Preferencs > Enery Saver & in the Sleep section make sure that the tick box for 'Put the hard disk(s) to sleep where possible' is NOT ticked.

10. Zawamura thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, will try that. :)

11. Zawamura thread starter macrumors regular

Stll having problems ;< I changed it in the windows software to not turon off until 5hours. It turns off after about 30mins now. really annoying.

Also turned off the power saving setting in os x.

Could it have something to do with it being HFS formatted when I try to change the firmware in windows?

12. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

how does windows even recognise the HFS+ formatted drive?? it cant write nor even read to HFS+ formatted drives...

13. Zawamura thread starter macrumors regular

Got the software Macdrive installed, so windows can read it. :)

I'm gonna see if I can make a backup of my external drive and reformat it as ntfs

14. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

aaaahhh ok that would make sense!!!!!
    good luck with it i hope it works out for you.
    NB: osx cannot write to NTFS (just incase)

15. Zawamura thread starter macrumors regular

I know, but I can try to reformat it as NTFS, change the firmware settings then reformat back to HFS+

16. lost eden macrumors 6502a

If you have used the Windows software to alter the turn-off time to 5 hours, then it is OS X's fault if it turns off earlier than that. I would try connecting it to a Windows/Linux computer & see if it turns off early there.

17. Zawamura thread starter macrumors regular

But what in OS X could cause something like this? My time machine drive works fine (lacie 250gb)

18. Zawamura thread starter macrumors regular

Must be something seriously rong now, Tried to transfer some big files from it to my internal harddrive, I froze halfway through. And it was after like 5-10mins

19. lost eden macrumors 6502a

As I said, you should test the drive thoroughly with a non-OS X computer (if you have one at your disposal) to determine whether the problem is with OS X or with the drive. If you discover that teh drive works fine in Windows/Linux/etc. then that would imply that the problem is with OS X.

20. Zawamura thread starter macrumors regular

**** this, I'm copying what I can from it then I'm getting a Western Digital or something instead. It crashed after 4-5minutes in windows when transferring files

21. dschiller macrumors regular

Sounds like your drive has problems. I've changed the settings for a HFS formatted Seagate FreeAgent Pro on Windows with Macdrive installed and it works flawlessly. You should probably return it.

22. Zawamura thread starter macrumors regular

I formatted it to FAT32 and ran the diagnostic-test in the Seagate software on my windows-machine and it said that there was something wrong (Didn't get this error when it was HFS+ formatted).

So I'm now gonna send it on the warranty to get a new, hopefully working one.

23. lost eden macrumors 6502a

Way to jump to conclusions. I am willing to bet that there is absolutely nothing wrong with the drive whatsoever & it is just OS X messing up. As I said twice already, you should really test it on a non OS X machine.

24. not.robb macrumors newbie

Is this bad for the drive? Will it cause it to wear out faster? Thx!

25. lost eden macrumors 6502a

The difference over the drive's lifetime will be completely negligible; it will still far outlive it's use (as in the drive will still be working in 10 years time whrn 500GB is useless because it's so small). The feature is mainly to save power, not save the drive.