iPhone Need some help with FolderEnhancer

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by rocknblogger, Feb 6, 2013.

1. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Does anyone know how to start with FolderEnhancer from scratch? When I installed it today it rearranged all my icons to how I had it on the 4S but I now have quite a few different apps and all it did with them is spread them out over a number of screens.

If I remember correctly, when I initially bought FolderEnhancer it left my folders and apps in place but added all the features to the existing folders. Is there any way I can start with it again just like the first time?

I'm actually quite surprised that it rearranged everything on my iPhone 5. I old expect that on the 4S if I had to re-jailbreak. I'm guessing there must be a plist file somewhere???

Thanks!

R

2. f00f macrumors 65816

I'm guessing you restored your iPhone 5 from a backup of your jailbroken 4S that had FolderEnhancer on it??

I'd tell you where the plist is if I could get FolderEnhancer to install; thebigboss repo is completely AWOL at the moment. But I do remember seeing one when I poked around on my own JB'd 4S w/ FE months and months ago (at the time I was trying to figure out how FE dealt with Newsstand). Somehow I don't think I'm going to have much luck with Cydia tonight though...

3. rocknblogger thread starter macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

I believe you're correct regarding the backup. Okay, I'll try downloading a file manager and search around. If you have any luck today or tomorrow let me know.

4. f00f macrumors 65816

Found it.

/var/mobile/Library/SpringBoard/IconSupportState.plist

This is a binary plist so you could transfer it over to your mac, convert it to XML w/ plutil or use some plist-friendly editor. If you were to edit the XML, put it back on your phone and re-spring you would see the changes you made.

----------

There's another file in that same directory, IconState.plist, which is identical to IconSupportState.plist. Not sure what it's purpose is; FE doesn't seem to use it.

5. rocknblogger thread starter macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

I'm not sure what you mean by what I bolded above. FYI, when I removed FolderEnhancer all my icons reverted back to the folders I currently have set up. But if I was to download it again it will scatter them again. So what should I do with the file you mention? I though there would be a plist specific to FolderEnhancer that I'd be able to delete and be done.

6. f00f macrumors 65816

Delete IconSupportState.plist (or rename it to something else) and re-spring, and FE will pull in the settings from IconState.plist (i.e. the icon layout you had before installing FE). I just tried this and it looks like it does what you want.

7. rocknblogger thread starter macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Awesome, thanks I'll give this a try in the morning.

8. rocknblogger thread starter macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Nah, this didn't work. It just removed all the folders I had. I give up on this, it's just too time consuming plus I have another issue. It happens randomly but when I close an app it rue springs into safe mode. There's no pattern and it could be any random app. I've been removing tweaks in the order I installed them and the last one I removed was Springtomize 2. So far it hasn't happened but too early to be sure yet.

I have to be honest. It was a bigger deal to JB my older iDevices. Now, not so much. I'm actually considering just going back to stock. It's been so long since a JB that I got used to my iPhone 5 just fine as it was. I don't know... I'll give it a couple more days and see what happens.

9. f00f macrumors 65816

Sorry I wasn't watching this thread and didn't see the reply till now.

Coincidentally I had a similar issue with losing my icon layout today. I was able to pull the Icon*.plist files out of a backup, thankfully (didn't want to have to do a restore-from-backup in iTunes since the only thing messed up was FE's layout). I couldn't get the FolderEnhancer layout to restore until I deleted all *Icon*.plist files in the path I mentioned earlier, sent the IconState.plist file over (using ssh/scp), and re-sprang. (I saw at least four icon-related plist files there: IconState.plist, IconSupportState.plist, and a couple others prefixed with "Desired".)

And I have to vouche for Springtomize 2 being the crash culprit. I had that installed on my 5 as well. I used to have it on my 4S last year & I liked it back then, but not on my 5 because seemingly immediately after installing it the Springboard became the most unstable process on the phone. I've removed Springtomize 2 and stability has improved.

10. rocknblogger thread starter macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Sorry, now I wasn't watching the thread. It believe that libstatusbar update is what wiped out our icon layout. I decided to take this opportunity to install FF and set up everything from scratch. It was a pain but I finally got everything just right.

Yeah unfortunately Springtomize2 is unstable on i5 but to be honest I had very little use for it. Out of all the tweaks available I used 1, the five icon dock but as you know there's a separate tweak for that. So no big loss at the moment.