Need some help with Migration with new imac.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Supercheesewiz, May 22, 2008.

1. Supercheesewiz macrumors newbie

Just bought a new last gen 20 inch imac from Amazon, and I love it. Upgraded it to 3 gigs of ram and it runs fast. Anyway, since it's been 5 years since I bought an apple, I needed some help with Migration.

My wife and I have 2 laptops with seperate Itunes, and Iphoto Libraries on each. What is the most painless way to bring it all together?

2. rayward macrumors 68000

If you're networked*, you should be able to simply drag and drop the music libraries from the laptops to the Mac, and then drag and drop the libraries into iTunes. If there's a lot of stuff that you bought from the iTunes store, it's going to make you re-authorise the purchases before it will play 'em. It only takes a moment to do this, but it will get a little tedious if you have a lot of purchased music. I don't know if there's a way to universally re-authorise the music.

Same with photos: drag and drop.

* And if you're not, you should be able to set up a point-to-point network very easily, either wirelessly or via ethernet (the latter of which will be faster for file transfer).