Need some help with my Quadra 610

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by Mori1, May 28, 2013.

1. Mori1 macrumors member

I have a Quadra 610 that I got in 93, I think. Which up until this week I was using. I turn it on and it started making a horrible sound with a disc sign flashing a question mark on the screen. Is there any hope of fixing it or am I out of luck?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That would be a broken hard drive. They take SCSI hard drives. Those are becoming hard to find now days. If you don't want it anymore, I do suggest putting it up for a cheap sale or giving it away for free rather than trashing it.

3. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Sounds like it is potentially a hard disk failure, or in progress.

To confirm, I would suggest opening the device, disconnecting the power to the disk, and see if the sound is gone when you attempt to boot that way.

Do you have backups, boot disks, or other ways to boot into that system?

4. Mori1 thread starter macrumors member

Maybe but its been a really long time since I've seen them. Oh dear, looks like I'm going on a scavenger hunt.

I would rather fix it then give it away. Where would I look to buy one?

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

eBay probably. You want a 50 pin SCSI 3.5" drive. Their connectors look like PATA/IDE drives, but they have ten more pins on the data connector. I don't know what the limit is on those machine as far as capacity, but I'd stay below 10GB.

6. Mori1 thread starter macrumors member

Would it be possible to see a picture of what it looks like.

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

8. Mori1 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you guys. Of course until I can find my system 7.? software nothing is going to happen. Then there's the fact that I can't remember the last time I backed it up. Damn, this thing was more reliable then my MBP laptop. Oh well.

9. David Schmidt macrumors 6502

David Schmidt

And it still is. Just put in a new drive (preferably something solid state... spinning metal platters are always a liability) and off you go.

10. rivettmj macrumors member

If you happen to have another mac with a floppy drive, you can create the disk images for system 7, I have the image files for several different versions (and quite a few are now freely downloadable)

Let me know if you have a Floppy Equipped Mac handy! (preferably running OS9 or earlier)

11. Mori1 thread starter macrumors member

If only. The only floppy equipped Mac is my Classic, which I loaned to a friend. I wonder if she still has it?

No, there are several boxes with old computer stuff that I need to go through. With any luck, I will find it in the next two weeks.

12. rivettmj macrumors member

Let me know if you need a set of disks, I can send you them for the cost of the floppies and shipping!

13. Mori1 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you, it might come to that.