Need some help with Restore - Cydia and SHSH

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by homer98, Jun 1, 2010.

1. homer98 macrumors newbie

So I Jailbroke my iphone last night, perfect success. but the thing I want to make sure I know how to do is to be able to restore from the SHSH blob I saved before the jailbreak.

It saved to Cydia server as well as locally. But when I try to restore, what do I have to do to be able to use the SHSH file? I've changed the host file for which server it looks for. But When I browse for firmware file, the only files iTunes reads is *.ipsw

Which clearly the SHSH blob file is .shsh

So what do I need to do? Any help would be much appreciated. I don't want to restore from an iTunes backup, but specifically the SHSH file.

Cheers

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

When you changed the hosts file you told iTunes to get the SHSH blob from that server. You really don't need to use your local file unless Saruik's servers are down or gone.

3. homer98 thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, So I went through the restore process, and at the point when it picks which restore point, it showed the same saved back-ups as before with Apple as the original host.

Does that mean it didnt work? since it makes you choose which back-up or a new phone. How do I go about that?

4. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

I think you are confused. :)

What you need to do is first tell us which iPhone you have. I assume it's a 3GS since you are doing the whole SHSH blogs stuff. Second, you need to change your hosts file to point to Saurik's server, last you need to press the Option key while clicking restore in iTunes and select the firmware (the file ends in .ipsw) you want to downgrade to.

More info here:
    http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=7556

5. homer98 thread starter macrumors newbie

iPhone 3GS - SHSH blob of 3.1.3 currently using Spirit Jailbreak.

I updated the host file. When I search for firmware, it only lets me see .ipsw files, which is not what I need, since it is .shsh file that has been saved.

So how can I use that shsh blob if iTunes wont find that file :p Thanks for the quick responses.

6. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

No, .ipsw IS what you need. You don't need a .shsh file. Did you even check the link I posted above? :)

But this is all moot since you only have blobs for 3.1.3 on file with Cydia. All you need to do is restore via normal procedures as Apple is still signing the 3.1.3 firmware for restores.

7. homer98 thread starter macrumors newbie

I did look over the link you posted, plus others.

There is a restore and recovery. You can restore to default factory settings, and then after that, recover from a previous saved back up. And from what I understand is that the SHSH blob is like a back up.

Also, if I back-up using a previous saved restore point for my iphone, why doesnt it restore songs/videos and apps?

8. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

You understand incorrectly. :) SHSH blobs are a "certificate" to allow a certain firmware to be restored. There are two types of restores, one is just settings which will restore an iPhone backup. The other restore will wipe out your iPhoneOS and restore a new one. To restore a previous firmware that Apple no longer wants you to have, you need to have your SHSH on file in Cydia for that firmware version so that you can use the link I provided above to restore.

As for backups, songs, videos, etc are not backed up since these are sync'd with your iPhone via iTunes. Backups only contain SMS messages, Mail settings, WiFi settings, etc.

9. homer98 thread starter macrumors newbie

mmk, thanks for the clarification then. I couldn't find anywhere stating what exactly the SHSH blobs are and what information is contained in them. One more quick question then, I chose a back-up to restore my iphone. but When I went to Sync, all of the apps I had downloaded disappeared and now I lost all of my apps.

Does iTunes not remember the free apps? That is all I have downloaded thus far, Got iphone last week. Would It have synced paid for apps? clarification on that would be great as well.

10. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Are the apps on your computer? If you downloaded the apps and didn't sync before you restored your settings from a backup, the apps won't re-sync since they were never copied on your computer. if they are on your computer, check the Apps tab when you connect your iPhone to make sure sync for apps is enabled. There's no distinction between free and paid apps in this regard.

11. homer98 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I made sure to sync everything first, then back up. It showed the apps in iTunes when synced. I had apps synced as well. So I don't know why it wouldn't save the apps and re-sync them :S oh well, have to find them all again, heh.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it, I know where to come for more info if needed. Thanks !