Need some help with transferring files

Discussion in 'iMac' started by GeeSixx, Oct 22, 2012.

1. GeeSixx macrumors regular

GeeSixx

I am new to the Mac platform and I was wondering if there is a pain-free way to migrate to a Macbook Pro from my iMac? Maybe something similar to the way you can backup an old iPhone and restore everything to a new iPhone.

I just purchased a refurbished iMac and I have come to the conclusion that a 13" Macbook Pro would better fit my needs so I am returning my iMac for the MBP.

My problems arise here. I am hoping there is a way I can return my iMac, wait a few days for my Macbook to arrive and still retain my applications and settings on the MBP.

Thanks for any help.

2. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Sure ... simply purchase a inexpensive external disk drive and do a Time Machine backup to it before you return the iMac.

Then, when you receive the MacBookPro, when the setup asks if you want to migrate your system, select to restore from a Time Machine backup and select your external drive.

Your MBPro will now be just where you left off with the iMac.

Then ... you can use your external drive to continue as a backup drive.

Good Luck ...

-howard

3. GeeSixx thread starter macrumors regular

GeeSixx

4. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

Use the Migration Assistant that is included in your Mac OS. If there is a delay between machines, just use an external drive as a go between.

5. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

He wants to return the iMac ... then receive the MBPro. So he won't have both machines in his possession at the same time. :)

----------

Note that you will want to partition and format the drive for the Mac before you use it for backup as it will probably come formatted for Windows.

Use Disk Utility to make a single partition, Options = GUID, and "Mac OS Extended (journaled)"

6. GeeSixx thread starter macrumors regular

GeeSixx

I just purchased a Western Digital Passport for Mac. This should work right out of the box right?

7. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Yes, it should (you might want to verify the format just to be safe).