Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roeiz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2010
hi -
my wife got some old Ipad 2 that she uses in the kitchen.
the problem is that she changed her Icloud password,
and now, after signing back into her Iphone 6S+ and the Ipad,
she now gets repeated verification codes to her Iphone to type into the Ipad,

BUT-

when agreeing to type the code in the Ipad, it takes you into preferences but then nothing happens,
while the Iphone continues to add new verification codes... this goes on forever.

needless to say the Ipad need fresher IOS etc. but nothing can be done atm.
the promps on the Iphone are especially annoying.

please someone take us out of this loop :(

Superspeed500

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2013
Two things I can think of to try:
  • Reinstall iOS on the iPad.
  • Try to generate an "app-password" for use with the iPad. App-passwords will get around the two-factor authentication, but should only be used with a single app per generated password.

flaubert

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2015
Portland, Oregon
I'm wondering how out of date your firmware is on the iPad 2... if it's way back on iOS 7 or something this won't work, but there is a trick that I believe still works for latest firmware (9.3.5?) on Ipad 2. The trick is this: when your wife's phone gives you a six digit code, you sign into iCloud on your iPad with the new password, and then append the six digits on the end of the password before clicking on the OK or Accept button on the screen. So, if your password is 'googley' and the code the phone gives you is '832189' (made up examples) what you enter on the iPad iCloud sign-in screen as your password is 'googley832189'. Hopefully this will get you past the never-ending cycle of prompts.

This procedure I described is mentioned at the bottom of the following Apple support page:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204915

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.