Need some help with WiFi dropping please!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Matt-London, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Matt-London macrumors newbie

I need some help please!

My internet connection keeps freezing and I have to turn the airport / wifi setting off then on again in order for it to resume.

It has been happening for quite a while now. Someone suggested it was the router so I bought a brand new one which does both N & G and it still happens whichever channel I am using.

The strange thing is, if I am downloading a large file, or streaming radio or video, that carries on just fine- but when I go to open a new web page it freezes and doesn't open until I turn the wifi/airport icon off then on.

My Mac Mini, ipad and iphone do not have this problem.

I have tried an archive and install and this didn't help.

I am on 10.5.8 and the iMac is 8,1

Any ideas what this could be?

Thanks!!

2. Matt-London thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tip GGJstudios, but does this also cover wifi dropping rather than being directed to other sites?. I couldn't see this problem mentioned on there.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It sounds like your WiFi isn't dropping. If you can still download or stream video, but can't open web pages, it sounds more like a DNS issue, rather than a WiFi issue.

4. Matt-London thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried to change the DNS Server but mine (which was set to my router address 192.168 etc) was greyed out so i couldn't .

Anyway, the issue has just happened again so I thought I would open up my router login but I couldn't even connect to that, so it is not an internet connection problem.

Would really welcome some help with this...?

Thanks

Matt

5. CultHero macrumors 6502

I spent about a week trouble shooting my airport extreme, rebooting, restoring etc just to try changing from default channel to channel 11. Fixed all my problems. If you are in a high density area, chances are the default channels are getting noisy.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can still add the OpenDNS servers. The 192.168... is your computer, not a DNS server.

7. Matt-London thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks.

I have now added the google one but still the problem persists.

I am not very clued up on this stuff, but if my problem also prevents me from accessing my router's login in page would adding the different DNS servers help?

Any other suggestions as this is driving me mad having to keep toggling the wifi on and off every hour or so.