Need some help with wireless

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by will0407, Oct 28, 2006.

  1. will0407 macrumors 6502a

    May 20, 2006
    I'm currently at Uni, and so have to connect to the internet via ethernet. Is there a piece of hardware out there that I can plug the ethernet into that will transmit a signal? Got a router set up at home, but I;m not sure if that's the way to go.

    I want to be able to sit on my bed and use my laptop (doesn't reach with the cable attached). I've thought about a longer ethernet, but it'll be a bit of a hassle.

    any help would be great,
  2. bigandy macrumors G3


    Apr 30, 2004
    an "access point" is what you're after. however you should maybe ask - my uni have disconnected people for setting up their own WiFi networks on their backbone.. Don't know why but it's against our rules.

    If it's all clear you can get a wireless access point pretty easily. all they usually need is power + ethernet. :)

Share This Page