Need some help

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Kyotoma, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Kyotoma, Dec 5, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2011

Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

I was recently given a black 16GB CDMA iPhone 4 with a bad ESN (Friend said he couldn't afford the bill anymore).

It is on iOS 4.2.8, so I jailbroke it with jailbreakme.com and then ran Cydia in attempt to save SHSH blobs so I could perform a DFU restore as new, but when I ran TinyUmbrella 5.0.0, the iPhone did not show any blobs saved at all. Unchecking hosts and requests to Cydia did not retrieve them either.

Frustrated, I downloaded redsn0w and ran it's SHSH uploader with the iPhone in DFU, which redsn0w then said that it successfully completed and uploaded 4.2.8 SHSH blobs to Cydia. Re-running Cydia and TinyUmbrella, however, still showed no blobs saved.

Attempting to DFU restore anyway to 4.2.8 in iTunes 10.5 yielded errors 3165 and 2001. Updating to iTunes 10.5.1 yielded 3165 again. This leads me to believe I need to edit my hosts file but I'm not exactly sure how I should proceed.

All I'd like to do is DFU restore as new to stock iOS 4.2.8. Any advice would be much appreciated

2. Kyotoma thread starter macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

3. Lc* macrumors newbie

yes should have edited the hosts file. YOu considering tethered jailbreak on 5.0.1?

4. Kyotoma thread starter macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Possibly but I am going to give it back to my friend because I believe he can pay his bill now. Sucks that I was not able to save SHSH for 4.2.8 though.