Need some help

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Homer Jay, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Homer Jay macrumors newbie

I just purchased a new iMac....for some reason I can' get it to load any software from a CD. It will recognize the CD and show me the application but it never loads. It is happening on multiple disks, is there something I missing here on this very simple task? I even tried an external DVD/CD drive I had laying around....

Thanks.

2. Spike88 macrumors 6502a

What is the exact name of the software you are trying to install? Provide name of one Mac OSX application (on CD label) and we can help you with it.

3. Bear macrumors G3

Are they application for OS X? Or might they be Windows only discs?

4. masterbeta2 macrumors newbie

not to sound dumb, but have you double-clicked the application? is it a PKG or is it APP? if it's PKG double-click it - if it's APP simply drag it to your applications folder to install

otherwise, without further info, we can't help you :)

good luck!

5. Homer Jay thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys....

Update:

Turns out that the discs although for a mac were not compatible with OSX 10.7. I had previously loaded them on a MBP that started off running Snow Leopard and then upgraded to lion so the programs worked. Since this new iMac started with Lion they will not load.

I used migration assistant on the iMac to bring in my time machine backup from my early 2011 MBP...seems to have made the programs function but are there any problems with using that time machine backup on the iMac?

Thanks again.

6. Bear macrumors G3

You could've run in to one of 2 installation issues. The installers were set to work with specific OS X versions. Or the installers could've been PowerPC code that installed universal applications.

In either case if you don't run in to issues, you should be okay. What you do want to do is check with each software vendor is if there are any compatibility issues and you should get a new version.