Need some help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by aaronwea, Aug 6, 2007.

1. aaronwea macrumors newbie

Hi, My name is Aaron and I have a Ibook g4 with a 40GB hard drive and when I run disk Utilities it say that
    Incorrect number of Extended Attributes
    the volume Aaron's HD needs to be repaired.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

And I am wondering if there is anything that I can do it is causing the computer to unexpected freeze up - all the time and programs to fail at a very alarming rate. What can I do? PLEASE HELP:eek:

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

First of all:
    Back up your data. Now.

Second:
    Are you running Disk Utility while you are booted from the hard drive, or are you restarting from the OSX CD/DVD?

You can't repair a hard drive while it is the boot System.

Restart with the OSX CD/DVD in the drive, and hold the "C" key down throughout the startup procedure, to force it to start from the optical drive. Then, go to the "UJtilties" or "Installer" menu at the top (depending on your OSX version) and open DIsk Utility from there, and do a Repair Disk on your hard drive,.

3. aaronwea thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes

Yeah I have run it in both the "C" mode through the restore disk and while the operating system is running and both time it say the same thing and will not fix the error

Aaron

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

OK then, back up your data ASAP (did I mention that part?)

Now you have a choice, you can take it to a shop or you can invest in some software. If your problem is PURELY logical problem with your hard drive's catalog being corrrupted, then DiskWarrior from Alsoft can probably sort it out for you.

If your problem is a failing hard drive in hardware, then no software is going to fix it.

In either case, start planning on an new hard drive, and/or an external firewire drive to back your data up onto regularly.

5. aaronwea thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Yeah that was what I was afraid you were going to say I already have it all back-up and I guess I just need to go ahead an purchase the new harddrive that I have been looking at online.
    Thanks
    Aaron