Need some IMac Hardware help Please NEW at THIS

Discussion in 'iMac' started by THX113876, Aug 18, 2011.

1. THX113876 macrumors newbie

A friend my gave me a iMac the one with the see thought back its red see thought he got it from a co worker who was gonna trash it and he know I collected computers.

I am new at this I got a MAC keyborad and mouse so I am ok on that it is very very slow and I have a few questions:

1) can I put more ram in it and does it have be Mac Ram ?
    2) were can I find original keyboard &mouse(I like having original stuff if I can)
    3) how I get the wireless to work
    4) I read online it should have a dvdrom but its cdrom did I read wrong ?

Anyhow will help please I have an iphone and i am slowly wanting learn more of the Mac world and I thought this would be a great start.

I thank you for your time and I hope someone can help me
    Chris

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You need to tell us what kind of iMac it is before anyone can help you. Also, use sentences.

3. THX113876, Aug 18, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2011

THX113876 thread starter macrumors newbie

when it boots it says MAC OSX i added a few pictures i am new at this so some help as to were look would be greatly helpful

Attached Files:

4. Eduardo1971 macrumors 65816

Eduardo1971

In his defense-I don't believe English is his first language.

5. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

"A friend my gave me a iMac the one with the see thought back its red see thought he got it from a co worker who was gonna trash it and he know I collected computers.
    I am new at this I got a MAC keyborad and mouse so I am ok on that it is very very slow and I have a few questions"

That's one of the "original design" iMacs. Not the very first ones, but one of the later revisions, when they started offering them in different colors.

I _think_ this has a (PowerPC) g3 CPU in it. You CANNOT run the modern Apple software on it, because Apple now uses Intel CPUs and the software won't run. But you CAN find and run older Apple software.

It looks to me like it has firewire ports on it, too.

"1) can I put more ram in it and does it have be Mac Ram?"

The RAM is upgradeable, but first you have to determine how much is in it already. You can do this by going to the first selection under the "Apple" menu, and choosing "About This Mac". It should tell you which iMac you have, and also give you the processor speed.

Once you have that info, go here:
    http://www.datamemorysystems.com/G3_iMac_Memory.asp
    Pick the selection that compares to the speed you saw in the "About this Mac" menu.
    BTW, I've order from Data Memory Systems in the past, their service is quick, prices right, and never had any problems with their products.

I'm not _real_ familiar with that series of iMacs, but it looks like they "max out" around 1gig of RAM.

"2) were can I find original keyboard &mouse(I like having original stuff if I can)"

Actually, the original keyboards/mice with the "pod" iMacs were TERRIBLE (shouting intentional). Look for them if you must, but you're probably far better off with the mouse and keyboard shown in your pics.

"3) how I get the wireless to work"

Did they even _have_ wireless installed in the early iMacs? I think all you had for network connection was the Ethernet port (shown in the pic). You can check that by going to the "About This Mac" under the Apple menu, and (after the introduction window opens) clicking "More info". Alternate method: look for "Apple System Profiler" in either the Applications or Utilities folders.

Then see if it says anything about wireless. Even if it has some wireless connectivity, whatever was built in at the time will be very slow.

If you really want wireless, you _might_ be able to get a 3rd party "USB/wifi" dongle that plugs into a USB port and it _might_ work (no promises because of the age of the machine).

Best solution: just use wired Ethernet.

"4) I read online it should have a dvdrom but its cdrom did I read wrong?"

Again, you can check using Apple System Profiler. It may indeed be only a CD drive without DVD capabilities.

Having said that, you might be able to find a DVD/CD drive (either "bare" or in an enclosure) relatively cheap. I suggest you get one with a firewire400 port. Then connect it to one of the firewire ports and you won't use up one of the 2 USB ports.

Hope I got all the above info right -- I'm sure others will jump in to correct if not....

6. THX113876 thread starter macrumors newbie

no I just never used a forum before and I have a learning disability in vocabulary I am sorry

----------

i saved the Apple System Profilers a .doc but its to big if anyone wants it can email it to them I love get this working faster....

thank you to all who help so far

----------

Thank you very much
    So Apple AirPorts not wireless then?

----------

would this be useful ?

Hardware Overview:

Machine Name: iMac
    Machine Model: PowerMac2,2
    CPU Type: PowerPC 750 (83.2)
    Number Of CPUs: 1
    CPU Speed: 400 MHz
    L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
    Memory: 256 MB
    Bus Speed: 100 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: 4.1.9f1

Software:

System Software Overview:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.4.11 (8S165)
    Kernel Version: Darwin 8.11.0
    Boot Volume: Macintosh HD
    Computer Name: Chris’ iMac
    User Name: Chris

Graphics/Displays:

ATY,Rage128Pro:

Chipset Model: ATY,Rage128Pro
    Type: Display
    Bus: AGP
    VRAM (Total): 8 MB
    Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
    Device ID: 0x5052
    Revision ID: 0x0000
    ROM Revision: 113-XXXXX-109
    Displays:
    iMac:
    Display Type: CRT
    Resolution: 1024 x 768 @ 75 Hz
    Depth: 32-bit Color
    Core Image: Not Supported
    Main Display: Yes
    Mirror: Off
    Online: Yes
    Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

Memory:

DIMM0/J13:

Size: 128 MB
    Type: SDRAM
    Speed: PC133-333

DIMM1/J14:

Size: 128 MB
    Type: SDRAM
    Speed: PC133-333

7. mike457 macrumors 6502

You'll find a detailed breakdown on this model here. It also has links for parts and for how to install them.

8. THX113876 thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you so so much you are all very kinda

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

No need to apologize. Good luck with the iMax.

10. THX113876 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok i am just very thankful for all your help, if i run into any other issue may i post them here ?

and the type info did it help?

11. lamboman macrumors 6502

That model of iMac uses PC100 memory. Pretty difficult to find nowadays, but if you take a look around eBay you'll probably find something.

I wouldn't say that the original keyboard was terrible, but they become wobbly over time, so I'd stick with the current keyboard and mouse you use.

Those AirPort cards are 802.11b cards. To enable Wi-Fi, go to System Preferences, then Network. If nothing comes up with Wi-Fi, or you can turn Wi-Fi on but you get no signal, the card is dead (and they do die). Ethernet or a USB dongle should be fine, but with the age of these machines, look for 10.4.3 or earlier compatibility to ensure that the drivers will run on PPC machines, or are Universal, meaning that they run on both Intel and PPC Macs.

These systems have a 4x DVD-ROM drive.

12. THX113876 thread starter macrumors newbie

would PC100 from my old computer i had for my Dell 4550 would ? and are they dimms or sims

13. lamboman macrumors 6502

14. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

Here is the Data Memory Systems RAM page for the 400mhz iMac:
    http://www.datamemorysystems.com/_apple_info/Apple_Slot_Loading_iMac_400MHz_Memory_1278.asp

It takes 168 Pin PC100 SDRAM DIMMs. I'm going to _guess_ that if you have some of these from a PC, they _may_ work ok for you.

The DMS page says you can add memory 1 DIMM at a time, if necessary.

The profile info you posted shows 256mb installed. I'm going to _guess_ that it has two 128mb DIMMs installed now. If there is only one, you could put in a 512mb DIMM and be in decent shape.

Be careful pulling the old DIMMs out, the tabs that hold them in my be fragile.

The profile info you put up shows it's running on 10.4.11. That's the last version of "Tiger" and it's a very stable OS. That may be "as far as you can go", system-wise, with the g3 iMac.

The info you posted from System Profiler didn't indicate connectivity (maybe I missed it). Look under "Network" -- does it say anything about an "Airport" card?

Again, I don't know if they even had wireless connectivity built-in back then. You might check amazon.com for USB wifi "dongles" -- many of them are very cheap. I have _no_ idea whether they will work or not, however.

15. THX113876 thread starter macrumors newbie

Network:

AirPort:

Type: AirPort
    Hardware: AirPort
    BSD Device Name: en1
    IPv4:
    Configuration Method: DHCP
    IPv6:
    Configuration Method: Automatic
    Proxies:
    Proxy Configuration Method: Manual
    ExcludeSimpleHostnames: 0
    FTP Passive Mode: Yes
    Auto Discovery Enabled: No
    Ethernet:
    MAC Address: 00:30:65:12:80:fc
    Media Options:
    Media Subtype: autoselect

Internal Modem:

Type: PPP (PPPSerial)
    Hardware: Modem
    BSD Device Name: modem
    IPv4:
    Configuration Method: PPP
    IPv6:
    Proxies:
    Proxy Configuration Method: Manual
    ExcludeSimpleHostnames: 0
    Auto Discovery Enabled: No

Built-in Ethernet:

Type: Ethernet
    Hardware: Ethernet
    BSD Device Name: en0
    IPv4:
    Configuration Method: DHCP
    IPv6:
    Proxies:
    FTP Proxy Enabled: No
    Gopher Proxy Enabled: No
    HTTP Proxy Enabled: No
    HTTPS Proxy Enabled: No
    RTSP Proxy Enabled: No
    SOCKS Proxy Enabled: No
    Ethernet:
    MAC Address: 00:30:65:e8:38:68
    Media Options:
    Media Subtype: none

16. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

OS X Tiger, the OS you are currently running, is the highest that you can go, it actually runs pretty well on old G3 Macs but with 256MB of RAM it'll be grinding a fair bit. I'm currently running the same setup as you but with 640MB of RAM, head on to ebay and get a PC100 RAM stick, swap it with one of your 128MB sticks and performance will improve, I would recommend getting RAM that is garanteed to work with Macs as those old iMacs are notoriously picky and lower quality RAM often won't work.
    A faster hard drive will also make a big difference, a 40 GB ultra ATA drive running at 7200 RPM would be good, just try and get one with 2 MB cache, the 8 MB ones can run a bit hot.
    At the end of the day this machine is never going to be a speed deamon but you can make it far more useable and if you search around on ebay it shouldn't cost you much. Have fun.

17. Stan Mikulenka macrumors 6502