Need some informations about the latest Macbook pro 15" (Graphic card)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pmcthegamerz, Feb 8, 2015.

1. pmcthegamerz macrumors newbie

Hi, I have been looking for exact informations about the 15" 's graphic card everywhere without finding goods...

Here is my question, as Im willing to buy the latest MacbookPro 15" with the Intel Iris Pro, what is the graphic card worth?

I found out that the Iris Pro (5200 is that right?? ) is 128 mb of eRam, what is the difference of the "e" in ram? And what is this 128mb equals to when talking about desktop's graphic cards? 1Go ? 512 mb?

Will it run latest games ?

Thank you for your advices !

2. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

What games are you looking to play?

Intel's current integrated graphics top out with a feature called "Crystalwell" It is a 128MB eDRAM on package cache for both the processor and the graphics units on in the integrated graphics system. Basically, it functions as a very fast cache for the processor and the graphics system in an Intel chip. AnandTech did a fantastic overview of Crystalwell a few years back.

3. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

It's 128MB of eDRAM. It's on die memory for the CPU and GPU, effectively a very large L4 cache. It's not video RAM but it helps increase iGPU performance over the other Intel graphics solutions without it.

More info here : http://www.anandtech.com/show/6993/intel-iris-pro-5200-graphics-review-core-i74950hq-tested/3

It's about equal to the nVidia GT650M in the older rMBP, but it's not a gaming card. If you want a laptop for playing Windows games then go buy a MSI/Asus/Gigabyte gaming laptop, not a MacBook Pro.

4. pmcthegamerz thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, would it run Crysis 3 , Battlefield 3 or 4 and whats is the memory at its highest point? Is it like 128 from the gpu + a x ammount from the ram?

----------

Of course I don't plan to play a lot of video games or else, I just wonder what could it run and what could not be run on this laptop.

5. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

Not really... with those games the amount of VRAM and how fast it is is going to be the biggest barrier. 2GB of VRAM is easily going to beat 128MB of eDRAM even if the eDRAM is 5x faster when you need to load and have consistent access to 2GB of textures.

You are going to be much better served by a dedicated graphics card if that is what your planning on using it for and while running it under bootcamp (aka Windows). Honestly, if this is the primary goal of the machine you may be better off looking at a desktop or a non-Mac piece of hardware.

6. pmcthegamerz thread starter macrumors newbie

That give me better informations from all arround google lol, thank you for your answers. Last question, if I wan't to play some games(and Im always talking about runnable games ), Is windows 7 or 8 better then ?

7. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Look at it from an "I don't know you" point of view - with a name like pmcthegamerz and no other intended usage stated...

So no, not "of course". ;)

Crysis 3 and BFs 3&4 on Iris Pro 5200? Nah. Those titles like lots of VRAM. You'd be better getting the rMBP with the nVidia card.

8. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

My understanding is they are basically equivalent, especially for the latest games... Benchmarks wise, technically Windows 8 is ever so slightly faster, but I doubt you would notice it day to day.

9. pmcthegamerz thread starter macrumors newbie

That's an old gametag used for x360 and PS3 , I don't game with laptops I have a PC just for that ;)

And for all of you, the main purpose of the MAC is for School (so it last for some years)

----------

Thank you

10. pmcthegamerz thread starter macrumors newbie

Made some more research, looks like it isn't so bad no?

[​IMG]

11. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Depends if you're happy running games in low/medium detail at 1024x768. You'd also need to check to see if the Intel is supported by the game.

I can't help you with that one - my rMBP has the nVidia chipset, so always uses that in Windows.

12. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I've got BF4 running at 1680x1050, mix of high and ultra, FXAA and 16xAF and get around 47-50 fps on average, with the lowest being 35 and getting 60 in quite a number of situations.

So it's pretty alright.

13. pmcthegamerz thread starter macrumors newbie

What's you rMBP version? Using Iris Pro 5200?

14. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Nope. Using GT 750M.

15. ApoorvPrem macrumors regular

ApoorvPrem

Where did you find this pic ?

Anyway being a student myself I would suggest you go for the integrated GPU. use the cash saved for a PS4. Cos the Inter Iris Pro much more future proof - no heating or crashing issues and frankly speaking Apples history with dedicated graphics card in its laptops haven't been that bright. Iris will be good for daily use and for the occasional gaming.

16. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

To me the MBP with dGPU is a "buyer beware" product, if you need one and are aware of the issues fair enough, equally if you are not aware of the issue and don't really need one then you have a "ticking time bomb" on your hands.

dGPU issues
    For petitions heres one;
    https://www.change.org/p/timothy-d-cook-replace-or-fix-all-2011-macbook-pro-with-graphics-failure

Those directly involved;
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1848336

Get one if you need one, equally be aware of the potential consequences. As a student a computer is essential I would go with the iGPU and as suggested pickup as used console or build a cheap gaming PC. If the MBP goes "dark" when you most need it the gaming performance will add up to zip ;)

Q-6

17. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

I agree with this guy. You should get a 13" mid range MBPr or the base 15" if you want a bigger screen, and get an Xbox One for gaming.

18. kwokaaron macrumors 6502a

kwokaaron

So does it mean the eDRAM acts as a VRAM for the Iris Pro, or is it just to speed up swapping from the RAM itself? Will that mean we'll possibly see the eDRAM increase in size to 1GB - 2GB in the future?

19. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Yep it's a cache

that speeds up swapping to the ram. I see that the broadwell 6200 is the same so not in the near future. I think that Intel are expecting an increase in performance when they can link their graohics with DDR 4 RAM...

20. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

The eDRAM is essentially a large L4 cache that speeds up access to main memory. It's not VRAM. It's not exclusively for the graphics core to use.

No chance of eDRAM size increases of that magnitude. The yields would be tiny, meaning prices would increase dramatically.

21. Woochoo macrumors 6502

Someone here did some comparisions (in another post) between some Intel graphics. The conclusion was that having more execution units or clock frecuency didn't matter (one of 50% less EU and less clock speed performed almost the same as another with higher specs, don't remember the models). The big differential factor is the eRAM so the iGPU can develope its full potential, so if Intel plans to catch up some day other graphic vendors like AMD and nVidia (which are making great improvements), the only way is continuing increasing EU's and more eRAM & other "tricks" like that L4 cache. Not saying 2GB of eRAM but 256-512MB in the following years.