Need some input

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rust.puppet, Aug 5, 2011.

1. rust.puppet macrumors regular

In about 2 weeks classes start, i just enrolled in an online college for web design and interactive media and my school is mac friendly so I decided to get another macbook pro, this time a 15" model but the question is... matte or glossy?

Now I know this question has been asked over the past few years but I have a few concerns. I don't so much care about glare as i use my mbp indoors and never seem to notice anyways but I am looking for more true color and better picture. My other issue is with my 13" i adjusted the viewing angle lightly and the glass over the screen cracked and ever since I'm deathly afraid of that happening again. So the glass (for extra protection) vs. a unprotected screen scares me also, although i will be getting 2 years of apple care (assuming they cover broken screens). My final concern really was that with glossy you can easily wipe away dirt or anything while i have no experience with a matte screen to compare it to, my wife always finds a way to smudge up the glass even by sneezing on it daily and wiping it away, i wasnt sure of a really easy way of cleaning it without smudges or discoloration.

i know that's a lot to take in but i literally am torn up trying to make this decision. thanks for any imput.

2. thinkinblue613 macrumors 6502

thinkinblue613

If you have the cash, go with matte.

If you're going to use it in the daytime, go with matte.

If you will be moving around and shifting in different positions/places, go with matte.

If you said yes to the three sentences above, go with matte.

The glossy screen is such a huge distraction whenever there is sunlight. I have to try and position myself opposite of windows and stuff. It gets very annoying and I wish I knew this before buying it glossy.

3. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

If you're going to take good care of your laptop, then both will do fine.
    Truer colors, better contrast and brighter picture come from the glossy screen.
    Get the High-res Glossy; it'll give a person like you a much better experience. And with the $50 you save, you could buy a screen calibrator too! :)

4. lindstedt56 macrumors regular

5. rust.puppet thread starter macrumors regular

thanks alot, i was mostly worried about the true color sense of things especially since the glare wont be effecting me in my house or any other place i use it anyways.

6. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I really like my glossy screen, but I don't really have a problem with sunlight because I rarely use my laptop outside or near bright windows. If you are going go to be doing that, then don't get the glossy, I don't see an advantage for the matte besides the lack of glare in the sun.

Also, you really shouldn't be worried about cracking the glass, must have been just a fluke when you did it.. I accidentally dropped my old Macbook multiple times and even bent the screen casing and never had an issue with cracked glass. (I'm planning on taking better care of my MBP, haha) These computers are more sturdy than they look.

7. SaMaster14 macrumors 6502

I like the glossy better imo, the high res one.

I've had a matte MBP for 3 or so years now, and I never liked the screen. The glossy screen on my iMac is much crisper and nicer imo. Also, when I went to the apple store to look at MBPs, I was much more impressed with the high res glossy than the matte screen (even though matte is more expensive).