Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Po.Verse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2009
So in recently got a G4 iBook. Works great, love it, love the design. My first mac. But heres some of my issues.

Some sites freeze up on my PC, such as facebook and heavy Java/Flash sites. is this just because of the 512MB ram? If so ill upgrade to a Gig stick. BUT my friend has the same iBook, same ram, and his doesnt freeze, but hes on 10.4, im on 10.3.9, is this the problem?

I also want to know how to install the OS onto my external so I have more room on my laptop. i want to be able to run the programs off my external. It will let me choose to install the OS onto the external, but then says incorrect volume, or along those lines. Does it have to be portioned? I already formatted it.

So upgrading my RAM, pretty cheap, but is it worth it? And also, can I upgrade the basic Airport card to make the internet faster?

I dont need my PC to be a extreme wiz, mainly just to run audio recording program, internet and Adium, maybe PS CS if possible. I might be going to school in either june or sept for graphic arts, which in then, I know I will need a new macbook, but ill prolly get that on my loan :D

So give me some input guys. Should i try a few upgrades? or deal with it, save and get a better mac when the time comes?

Po.Verse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2009
oh, and also, can I have my mac show up in my house network? Theres 3 other laptops in the house, there all windows lol.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
You should be able to upgrade the iBook's RAM to up to 1.25 GB.
The more the better.

I don't know, if 10.3.9 is worse equipped than 10.4 to play Java and Flash, but Flash is still CPU intensive on newer machines and 10.5. Blame Adobe for that.

When I bought my iBook G4 (the 1GHz model from 2004) it had an 54Mbit/s AirPort Card. If you have the same card, then there is no need to change it, unless your internet is downloading with more than 6 MB/s.

If you have an 11 Mbit/s AirPort card, you need to give more details about your iBook :)apple: > About This Mac > More Info... or Applications > Utilities > System Profiler).

For seeing your Mac in your network: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1812

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
You see only 1GB RAM sticks, as 256MB is already soldered to the logic board of the iBook and not replaceable.

AirPort Extreme has a theoretical download speed of 54Mbit/s, so you'll be fine unless your ISP gets your more speed than that.

Po.Verse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2009
will it make that much a difference? And be enough to run Photoshop, Ect.

andalusia

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
I ran Photoshop on a G4 with 768MB RAM and only a 466 Mhz Processor before I got this machine. If it's CS1 you're talking about, it should run it perfectly fine, in fact rather well with 1.25GB of RAM.

Po.Verse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2009
I ran Photoshop on a G4 with 768MB RAM and only a 466 Mhz Processor before I got this machine. If it's CS1 you're talking about, it should run it perfectly fine, in fact rather well with 1.25GB of RAM.

i plan on having my G4 desktop do/control all my graphics work. I basically want my ibook to be able to handle opening the files when I need them to. Not constant work, and most likely Cs 2 or 3.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.