Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcintosh184

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2007
I am thinking about getting the new macbook (heres a link) ...

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...browse&mco=520F94DC&node=home/macbook/macbook

Anyways, i was wondering have much of a difference in speed it is compared to my current imac

http://www.macworld.com/products/apple/complete/product00070_detail2.php

Any insight would greatly be appreciated. I've never used a mac laptop before (or laptop at all). From what I understand the only hit i will be taking is I won't be able to play games on it, which sucks, but thats why i have a xbox 360, right? I can't afford the macbook pro so that option is out. Anyways, can any macbook owners give there impressions on the laptop and the how different going to the laptop from the imac will be? Thanks for any responses.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
in terms of raw power, the Macbook is going to be much faster than the iMac. i have the 2.0Ghz iMac G5 (pre iSight model) and while they hold up pretty well, the MacBook is overall snappier and a bit more powerful processing wise. the only drawback as you say is in the graphics department. but between the iMac and the Macbook, there is little difference between the two playing WoW (for me at least, others have different opinions about this). although the Macbook isn't ideal for gaming, having a smaller screen and less space to dissipate heat, the fans kick in fast, but for occasional stuff, it works.

MS Office takes a long time to load, but thats because its running under Rosetta, but once its open there are no issues that i've had.

anything specific you'd like to know?

mcintosh184

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2007
I can't afford to upgrade the notebook through apple ... so I want to do it myspelf. Is it hard installing ram and a bigger hard drive in a notebook? In the past, I've built a pc, but, once again, laptops are foreign to me.

polishmacuser

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2007
Los Angeles
I can't afford to upgrade the notebook through apple ... so I want to do it myspelf. Is it hard installing ram and a bigger hard drive in a notebook? In the past, I've built a pc, but, once again, laptops are foreign to me.
if it comes to installing ram and hard drives the macbook couldnt be any easier you just take out the battery and unscrew the L shaped bracket and the hard drive is on the left were you just pull out with no hassle. The point is that its really easy.:D

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004

i upgraded the RAM and Harddrive in my Macbook. couldn't be easier, took about 5minutes each after reading their install guide.

mcintosh184

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2007
how will apps like photoshop run in comparison to my older imac and the newer black macbook i am thinking about purchasing. I would eventually upgrade the laptop to 2gb of ram ... but overall would the performance increase, decrease, or stay the same? This will most likely be my last question. I'm a graphic designer who uses illustrator ALOT, but I use photoshop regularly (though not as much). Thank you to all who have commented thus far.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
how will apps like photoshop run in comparison to my older imac and the newer black macbook i am thinking about purchasing. I would eventually upgrade the laptop to 2gb of ram ... but overall would the performance increase, decrease, or stay the same? This will most likely be my last question. I'm a graphic designer who uses illustrator ALOT, but I use photoshop regularly (though not as much). Thank you to all who have commented thus far.

CS3? or an earlier version?
CS3 should run excellently since its a universal app, but older versions of the app will have to fun in Rosetta so there will be some slowdown there, especially if its a large file and such.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.