Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CalPoly10

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2006
Here's my situation:

I've finished a few years of my Industrial Engineering degree, and I'm having a great time. I love school, love learning, and I am loving life. I am currently away from school, working for an Aerospace company in Irvine. I took a position for 6 months that pays very well, and I am returning to school in the Fall.

I planned on leaving the job at the end of June, and heading to South America in early July to backpack. I would stay through the end of August, and travel to all the places I want to go (Macchu Pichu, Iguazu Falls, Buenos Aires, etc.).

About a month ago, I applied for a job with Boeing in Seattle, WA. I didn't expect to get the job, because I know somewhere around 800 people apply, and they only accept a dozen or two. I interviewed anyway, because I've never been to Seattle, and it seems like a beautiful area.

I figure work is work, but I want to see the world and learn while I can (whether it be work or just life experience). I was about to buy my plane tickets for S.A., and Boeing offered me a job today. The job runs from the end of June through end of August.

I am stuck right now. I see the pros, and the cons, of both.

Any advice here? Thanks guys.

stringbeanie

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2008
Southern California
Advice from middle-ager

Hi Fellow Southern Californian. I am from Dana Point.
You have a wonderful problem IMHO. With this economy and the fact that you have a job offer, albeit temporary, you have a chance to show off your stuff to a BIG player in Boeing. You also state that you love learning and what you do. I am sure you will enjoy the job. Having that experience will probably help you when you return to school in the fall as well. You must be quite young and you will have lots of opportunities to hike, backpack, etc. around the world. I am well into my career and probably sound like a killjoy but the realities of life right now really lean towards maximizing your career goals. Who knows how everything is eventually going to shake out with the economic woes we are in. I am sure you are very bright and I wish you the best of luck.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
I am from Atascadero.
If you have the money, and comfort. Go travel. Jobs will be here when you come back if you can get an offer from Boeing during these days. Your career will wait for you.

I went and traveled while I got my MS in England. Two birds with one stone, kind of. Though didn't get to travel as much as I wanted. Came home to a good job in San Francisco.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
Also being from Southern California (West Covina), the biggest adjustment for me was the weather in Seattle, WA, it's just plain brutal. Rain, rain; never goes away. Summer is about 2-3 weeks without rain, and that's it, as I remember. The Boeing Company is one of the largest employers in the state of Washington and I was heavily recruited by them fresh out of the Marine Corps, but chose a career in law enforcement. Making good money is a deterrent to continuing with your pursuit of higher education, so it's probably good that you have a termination date. It looks really good on the resume or your CV (Curriculum Vitae). That relevant job experience is a definite plus... Good luck with whatever you decide. :cool:

Dynamyk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2005
Toronto
Take the job.

Travelling can wait, a fantastic opportunity for one of the best employers in your field is not something that should be passed up.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Take the job.

Travelling can wait, a fantastic opportunity for one of the best employers in your field is not something that should be passed up.
I would tend to agree with this considering the job situation these days.

It's always easiest to get a job when you don't need one. Opportunity knocks. Make the most of it.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I'm going to agree as well. I'm sorry to say it, but if you take next summer off instead, that would make up for it.

I guess if you had a choice of travel this summer and work at Boeing next summer, then that would change things. However, Boeing may not offer you the position again if you apply next year, so work this time, travel next summer, and you'll gain the work experience AND travel.

CalPoly10

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2006
Thanks for the input, guys.

I'm a very career driven individual. The best thing would be if I could get paid to travel the world and work for corporations internationally. Maybe as some sort of consultant.

Traveling is great, and I need to do it, but I'm one of those people that always thinks there's a better way to do things. Maybe start a consulting firm, contract myself out to corporations, and travel?

Haha, it's nice to think at least.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.