Need some Mac Classic help...

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by WGoins88, Oct 30, 2011.

1. WGoins88 macrumors regular

Hey guys... I finally got my hands on a Macintosh Classic. Problem is, like all Mac Classics, the capacitors are failing. (oily board near caps, no sound out of the speaker). I caught it in time though... there is no damage to the logic board.

Is there anyone on here that is able to professionally replace surface mount capacitors? I know how to replace regular capacitors, but I am afraid to replace these as I fear I might rip the soldering pads off the board. The replacement capacitors will be regular capacitors that match the original ones' specs.

If you can do this for me, PM me and we can go from there to discuss it further.

Thanks!

2. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

I have done these before, and without appropriate gear, there is a risk of lifting pads. However, that kind of damage is repairable. :)

The only suggestion I would make is to use surface mount tantalums as a replacement. Case sizes can usually be found that closely match the original solder pads sufficiently.

Postage to my location would be fairly pricey and I don't have a rig to test the board. :(

Anybody else?

3. WGoins88 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, hopefully someone can help me. I've posted on 3 other forums and craigslist with no luck. Seems that no one does electronics repairs anymore.

4. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Have you tried 68Kmla.org ?

I'd hate to think of you needing to send it half way around the world to get it done. :eek:

I should be able to procure a Mac Classic to test with.

rant

Tell me about it. Those kind of skills are pretty much wasted these days in the personal computer industry. It's cheaper to replace a board or the whole computer.

Back when a bubblejet printer cost $4000 it was worth repairing. Now a sub $100 printer is a throw away item after the warranty expires.

/rant

5. WGoins88 thread starter macrumors regular

I signed up on there 2 days ago... still awaiting approval.